2002 Explorer - repair or replace? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer - repair or replace?

Brindle_O'Sage

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi all,
First post, longtime lurker at the excellent forum. I have a 2002 Explorer, one of the rare 5-speed manuals. It's got about 140K on it. Needs engine replaced, but is otherwise in good shape. How would *you* make the decision to try and keep it on the road vs. parting with it?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all,
First post, longtime lurker at the excellent forum. I have a 2002 Explorer, one of the rare 5-speed manuals. It's got about 140K on it. Needs engine replaced, but is otherwise in good shape. How would *you* make the decision to try and keep it on the road vs. parting with it?

Thanks!

What-all has been replaced during it's lifetime would be one of my considerations. Knowing that info depends on how long you've had it, of course. Second, if it were my situation, I can't be "average" with an answer, since I would be doing the engine R&R myself, saving the labor cost.

I had a '99 with manual, liked it a lot, OHV engine still, would have kept it, but 2WD, once too often stuck in snow! Bought a 2004, it's proven to be a pretty good choice. 2002 being the first 3rd. gen. year, I can't say what the pros and cons of that might be, except it's been said here that somewhere around that year, the timing chain guides were made of a more durable material. Replacement job is a pain for sure.

Finally, if you do not replace the engine, is the vehicle saleable as is? Does it run at all, or well enough to bring about a sale? If not, how would you dispose of it? imp

With the manual transmission it might be worth fixing. Is it a 4x4?

2002's are every where for cheap. You will be under water with engine work.

Do this if you can do the work and you plan to keep it "forever."

Assuming it's in decent shape.

My tranny went out on my 03. So I threw it on the lift and inspected everything. I was looking for a reason to get rid of it. Rust, excessive repair, signs that other major parts are about to crap out, tweaks in the frame... I was looking for anything. At the end of my witch hunt, I found nothing. Not even a ball joint. For the price of a transmission, I'll have a rock solid explorer, and you simply can not find a truck that solid that you know the history of.

I was in your situation about 1 1/2 years ago. I have an "02" 4x4 with the 4.6L. I elected to replace the engine because I had already replaced most of the mechanical parts that wear out over time. I chose to go with a slightly more expensive route and purchased a re-manufactured engine where I was able to get a good warranty, too. I figured I could either buy another used vehicle where I didn't know the history, or replace the engine and know I shouldn't have any additional repair work for quite some time. So far, no issues and I've been happy. I really like the vehicle. Body is also in good condition. I'm content. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. The vehicle is a 4x4, has been kept in good repair, body is in good condition. The engine is gone, so it's not going anywhere without help. I can't do the engine replacement myself. If I get it repaired, I intend to keep it "forever". However if anyone was interested (Detroit area), I'd certainly look at any offers.

Back