2002 Explorer Shift Interlock Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer Shift Interlock Problem

Komobu

Reaction score
City, State
Newport News
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Elporer
Hi;

I have a 02 Explorer that I can shift out of park. It starts and runs just fine. To shift, I have to use the emergency bypass under the steering column. (There is an access hole where you can release the interlock pawl.

I have tried moving the key out of the lock position and before the run position and it wont shift there either. I have replaced the brake switch and the interlock and it still wont come out of park. There are five wires at the connector. I checked them with AllData and they are OK. I am at a loss as what to do next. AllData says if there is a problem with the Shift Interlock to replace the steering column. That doesn't sound right. Any ideas where to go next? I am thinking maybe the body control module.

Thanks for any advice

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I assume you have your foot on the brake, and the truck turned to On before shifting? OK, had to get that out of the way. Ours is sometimes hard to get out of Park when we park on a slope, but a bit of gentle persuasion usually sees it move OK in the end. Though I just remembered yours is column shift - might be a broken tooth on the gear handle, rather than anything wrong with the interlock itself.

I saw a lot of posts on this site about not being able to shift out of park. It is probably a Shift Interlock issue. To see if it is, under the steering column is a little access hole that you can rotate. Then insert a small screwdriver. While holding the screwdriver in place, see if you can now shift. If you can it is the interlock where your problem is.

The first thing to check is to see if you have brake lights. The brake switch feeds 12 volts to the interlock. So if you dont have brake lights, then more than likely your brake switch or fuse is bad and fix that before you go further.

There are two fuses to check. They both must be working for the Shift Interlock. They are in the cabin under dash on drivers side. Fuse # 23 is 15 amp for brake lights. Fuse # 26 is 7.5 amps for Shift Interlock. If either of these fuses are bad, the shift interlock will not activate and you wont be able to shift.

If the fuses check out and you have brake lights, then look at the 6 pin connector under the steering column. You will have to remove the column shroud to see it. A picture of it is here:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/komobu/P1000674.jpg

This is a six pin connector with 5 wires being used. the wires are as follows.
1 Black---Ground
2 Red w/ Light Green Stripe---12 volts when brake pedal applied
3 Grey w/ Yellow Stripe ---12 volts when vehicle in Start or Run
4 White w/Red Stripe ---Ignition switch to Brake Shift Interlock
5 Not Used
6 Black---Ground

So, check for your 2 outer wires being ground and your #2 wire with 12 volts when brake pedal applied. If all this checks out, check the interlock itself. It is located on the left side of the column near the Key and can be seen here:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/komobu/P1000676.jpg

To remove it, you will have to remove the one torx in the photo and three screws under the steering column holding a wire loom to the column.

Once it is removed, let it hang and it will look like this:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/komobu/P1000673.jpg

You will notice it has three wires. They are Green, Black and White. The green should have 12 volts with the vehicle in start or run. The black wire in the center should be ground. The white wire should have 12 volts with brake applied. With the two outer wires being hot, and the center being grounded, you should see the interlock activate. If it doesnt, you know the interlock is bad and must be replaced. Check the connector because that is where my issue was.

Note. The center ground is received from a micro switch near the key. It looks like this:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/komobu/P1000675.jpg

The six pin connector sends the ground to the microswitch, and then it goes through the switch and back to the shift interlock. Sometimes when the brake is pressed, or if the shifter is not in the right position, there wont be a ground. So check for loss of ground if your two outer wires are hot and the shift interlock doesnt work.

Hope you find this useful:)

Check the connector because that is where my issue was.

Wow, you took that all apart, diagnosed it, took pics, and then wrote it up, all between 4 am and 11 am!!! You da man! Very nice write up too. :thumbsup:

what is the part called that is conected to the shifter that has the pin going through it? mine is worn out and it is the only thing that hold the shifter on. any help would be great, thanks

I am having trouble with this fix

I am trying to replace the bsi switch as indicated in this thread. I have spent an hour trying to get the wiring harness out of the brake shift interlock switch and I can't get it. I have the switch out and hanging by the harness

I have broken off the tabs as TSB 04-22-12 indicates and I have tried using a small screwdriver to press the tab. It still wont come out. I worry I am going to break the harness. It is already getting a bit chewed up. I am considering trying to tear apart the bsi switch around the harness since I am rplacing it. Any advice would be appreciated.

I am attempting to replace a bad Brake Shift interlock switch on a 2002 explorer.
The presenting problem was (in dollar tree parking lot) truck would start, but not shift out of Park. When I got the steering exposed, the switch began working intermittantly. I got it to my house. Not wont work, but I can overide it.
I should have the part this afternoon.
Thanks for any help

I finally got it. I pushed an icepick into the gap created when you break off the tabs on the Brake Shifter interlock switch. And it finally clicked and came off.
Unfortunately I went through all that and the $98 for the BSI switch and found that was not the culprit.
I think it was a loose wire over the break pedal.
Seems to be working now.

Thanks for your great troubleshooting information.

I saw a lot of posts on this site about not being able to shift out of park. It is probably a Shift Interlock issue. To see if it is, under the steering column is a little access hole that you can rotate. Then insert a small screwdriver. While holding the screwdriver in place, see if you can now shift. If you can it is the interlock where your problem is.

The first thing to check is to see if you have brake lights. The brake switch feeds 12 volts to the interlock. So if you dont have brake lights, then more than likely your brake switch or fuse is bad and fix that before you go further.

There are two fuses to check. They both must be working for the Shift Interlock. They are in the cabin under dash on drivers side. Fuse # 23 is 15 amp for brake lights. Fuse # 26 is 7.5 amps for Shift Interlock. If either of these fuses are bad, the shift interlock will not activate and you wont be able to shift.

If the fuses check out and you have brake lights, then look at the 6 pin connector under the steering column. You will have to remove the column shroud to see it. A picture of it is here:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/komobu/P1000674.jpg

This is a six pin connector with 5 wires being used. the wires are as follows.
1 Black---Ground
2 Red w/ Light Green Stripe---12 volts when brake pedal applied
3 Grey w/ Yellow Stripe ---12 volts when vehicle in Start or Run
4 White w/Red Stripe ---Ignition switch to Brake Shift Interlock
5 Not Used
6 Black---Ground

So, check for your 2 outer wires being ground and your #2 wire with 12 volts when brake pedal applied. If all this checks out, check the interlock itself. It is located on the left side of the column near the Key and can be seen here:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/komobu/P1000676.jpg

To remove it, you will have to remove the one torx in the photo and three screws under the steering column holding a wire loom to the column.

Once it is removed, let it hang and it will look like this:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/komobu/P1000673.jpg

You will notice it has three wires. They are Green, Black and White. The green should have 12 volts with the vehicle in start or run. The black wire in the center should be ground. The white wire should have 12 volts with brake applied. With the two outer wires being hot, and the center being grounded, you should see the interlock activate. If it doesnt, you know the interlock is bad and must be replaced. Check the connector because that is where my issue was.

Note. The center ground is received from a micro switch near the key. It looks like this:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/komobu/P1000675.jpg

The six pin connector sends the ground to the microswitch, and then it goes through the switch and back to the shift interlock. Sometimes when the brake is pressed, or if the shifter is not in the right position, there wont be a ground. So check for loss of ground if your two outer wires are hot and the shift interlock doesnt work.

Hope you find this useful:)

04 Explorer Stuck in Park

Hey I know this thread is over a year old but I am currently having a similar problem on my 2004 Ford Explorer and I am still trying to fully understand how the Brake Shift Interlock all works. I am having trouble getting the vehicle out of Park. Most times all I have to do is jiggle the shifter and it will then come out of park. My brake lights are working fine and I have checked my fuses and they are fine too. I pulled the plastic covers from the steering column and I can see that the Brake Shift Interlock seems to be working when depressing the brake. The pin drops, but I still have trouble getting it out of Park. Is there something else that I cant see that should be happening when depressing the brake? I have noticed that when I turn the key to the "on" position, but dont turn the vehicle over I can depress the brake and move the vehicle out of Park and into Neutral without any issue. I can then start the vehicle and be on my way. Can anyone give me any insight as to what the actual problem is?

ive been running without the interlock for months now, i didnt know there was a bypass. or is it just on 2002-2005 explorers?

As far as I am aware most cars and trucks have the bypass button. Its just normally hidden and never used.

Intermittent Shift Interlock and brakes lights!

I am having the same problem with my 2003 Explorer with the Shift Interlock pin not releasing all the time when pressing the brake.

I was checking the brake lights to see if it they were working and sure enough they are intermittent as well and work at the same time the Shift Interlock pin drops.

Could the brake light switch be faulty?

I have a 98 explorer are pretty close to the 2000's for wireing and mechanical

Hopefully I have found the proper place for my question. I have a 2002 explorer that is getting stuck in park. I came here to find out how to get it out but it still happens once in a while. The fuses mentioned here ...23 and 26 seem fine but now the brake warning light on the dashboard is flickering. Should i tackle the stop light switch on the brake pedal first? Thenthe shift interlock if needed?Thank you all so much for your posts!!!

Back