2002 Explorer Sound System: NEED ADVICE! | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer Sound System: NEED ADVICE!

while playing the tone what was the voltage on the amps speaker outputs??

Not sure, but I will test that. If I go for, say, 1150 watts, I'm looking for about 33.9 volts am I not? I don't think I want to push it to the max, a little under is fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well try this first...play the test tone and turn the gain up to where you had it before where it was loud as hell...then put the meter on the amp and see what the voltage is

Well I tried that but the voltage read like .04. Is there a certain way to test this? I thought that it couldn't be messed up. But then again I wired the alternative way, so Will I have to somehow measure all four at once to get a reading?

What setting was the meter on???

What setting was the meter on???

DC volts I believe. My friend things that the current has to travel through the meter, not just be in contact with the receptors. Does it have anything to do with the wiring? Would the voltage be halved because of two outputs?

Here is that vid you requested. Gain is set between quarter and half, didn't want to completely drain my battery. Playing Bass, I Love You.

http://www.vimeo.com/750655

And here is Speakerboxx Intro

http://www.vimeo.com/750726

I was just told that the sub is pretty much laughing at the power I am giving it. I believe it too. But I want to get it tuned right before I start throwing bigger amounts of power at it. And you know I was in a garage with no air flow. CO's a *****.

Also, does anyone have an aftermarket security system in their exploders? I drive in some bad parts of town and I really want to get better security. Not sure where to start looking for those. Not sure what is involved with doing that either.

audio signal is AC voltage...not DC. Sound waves are like sine waves which is AC voltage on the outputs of amplifiers

looks like that 19Ov.2 isn't even phased by the power lol....its hardly moving...maybe give it some time to break in.

Haha. Well, I did the voltage test, and let's say in that video it's getting a measly 350-400 watts. And I thought that was loud. I turned it up to about 800 watts and WOW. That makes a difference. I literally heard the sub moving during Bass I love you in some parts. The car is really rattling now. Will take some more videos later.

Alright I am in a bit of a dilemma here. It turns out that if you unplug your battery from the car the 4x4 control module fails in the 02 model, so that is going to have to be replaced. So I am looking to do a few things before I get the new module so it doesn't fail when I want to install more stuff.

So first for a new battery. Just a heavy-duty battery will be fine? No expensive yellowtops are needed?

Next, speakers. I have a small amp that will do 2x80 RMS. I am looking for some good component speakers. Was looking at some Infinity's that have max of 90RMS, thought they may be a good match. Any suggestions?

I have a Duralast Gold and it works fine. I'm going to need to add another battery in the back though.

DieHard Platinum is a good battery also

WOW! The problems just keep coming. First the 4x4 Control Module, now the air bag light si giving me code 33, which means I have some problems with my pretensioner. And on top of that, it started missing shifts and hesitating horribly today. Seems this sub is giving me problems. Going to have to drain the tranny fluid and replace it, see if that helps. And a new battery is needed on top of all that. And do I have to mention the back end whine?

I have decide don the eD 6000's for speakers. Going to have to build some mounts. Not sure if I want to drop any more money on this system if the car is going to give out. Anyone have pictures of some mounts made for some small speakers to fit the 6x8 space? Also, where do you guys like tweeters in the Exploder.

Here is that vid you requested. Gain is set between quarter and half, didn't want to completely drain my battery. Playing Bass, I Love You.

http://www.vimeo.com/750655

And here is Speakerboxx Intro

http://www.vimeo.com/750726

I was just told that the sub is pretty much laughing at the power I am giving it. I believe it too. But I want to get it tuned right before I start throwing bigger amounts of power at it. And you know I was in a garage with no air flow. CO's a *****.

Also, does anyone have an aftermarket security system in their exploders? I drive in some bad parts of town and I really want to get better security. Not sure where to start looking for those. Not sure what is involved with doing that either.

i have the python 460 hp protecting my investment...all said and done it was $230...
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Pyth...sem/rpsm/oid/119440/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Well, I FINALLY got around to checking the voltage on the nine.1 and turns out I was overdoing it. I had the gain set at a little past half with 3v preouts and after checking voltage while playing a test tone at max volume a listen to usually I only have the gain set inbetween quarter and half. I have it set right around 33volts now ant 35hz. But for some reason at the same volume level 70hz reads more voltage, around 34. Is that normal? I just hope I haven't been damaging sub and amp. It sounded really good where I had it. it was loud as hell, and after backing it down, it seems quiet compared to what it was. Just doesn't hit near as hard. I want to set the gain by ear but I have tried and can't tell where clipping starts. I will leave it at it's current setting until I can get an experienced ear to set it.

Nam, how is your 19 working?

Mine is loud as hell...I had the HU setting on -4...now its at -12 and still loud as hell.

The voltage will be different because of the varying impedances at different frequencies

So now the sub is making this little annoying noise. I listened to this one song a little while ago that may have pushed a little too much, but the noise started somewhere in this time frame I believe. Any idea what is causing it? I hope its not early onset blown-sub disease.

http://img532.imageshack.us/my.php?image=subnoiseavicl3.flv

Well, here is the bad news. My 19Ov.2 is blown. Now the good news. They hooked me up with a 13Ov.2 for $70 on clearance. The 19 is just too much for me. I want something that is small and won't take up my entire trunk, so it will be either stored for later or sold.

So I have a 13 headed my way, will be using the Nine.1 at 2ohms, pumping out 900 RMS which is a perfect combo with the 13. And honestly I don't think I'm going to lose much output.

So is anyone interested in a voice coil rubbing 19Ov.2 with a beautiful ported box tuned to 35Hz?

Oh yea, Nam, can you sketch me up a ported box for the 13Ov.2? I like the ported box, hoping to get another one, this time using MDF.

I am trying to sell my 19Ov.2 lol

9.5 cu ft box in my cargo area leaves hardly any room for anything.

I'm not sure how you blew that 19Ov.2. They can take quite a beating.

I'm not doing many designs right now...busy with school and other personal life things.

I also am going to buy a 13Ov.2. But rather go ported I'm going transmission line.

I am trying to sell my 19Ov.2 lol

9.5 cu ft box in my cargo area leaves hardly any room for anything.

I'm not sure how you blew that 19Ov.2. They can take quite a beating.

I'm not doing many designs right now...busy with school and other personal life things.

I also am going to buy a 13Ov.2. But rather go ported I'm going transmission line.

That's fine man, I want to try a sealed to start with, and if it sucks, I'll go for ported. If you jump on it those 13's are cheap as hell.

Not sure how I blew it either. But at low volumes it's really distorted and when I press down on the dust cap it makes a rubbing noise. I will just play it till it dies.

Come to think of it, playing a half blown sub till it dies won't hurt the amp will it?

I'd meter the coils and disconnect the blown coil

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back