• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer Sport weirdness

dwil4

Reaction score
City, State
Parts Unknown
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Toyota Tundra
I'll explain as best I can. So when I take off there is a shudder or a vibration that I'm not sure where it's coming from. Maybe tranny? There is no clunking sound or feel of anything like that that I would think would be associated with a bad gear of some sort. Someone suggested Motorcraf addative friction modifier for the tranny.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I moved your thread into the Gen2 section as your 02 Sport is essentially a Gen 2 Explorer.

Try revving the engine with it parked. I'm wondering about bad motor mounts. Another thought is, beginning of misfires but not enough to set a code yet, nor notice once RPMs are higher. A scan tool with live data might pick up some anomalous reading(s).

If it is your transmission, I'd wonder how long since an ATF fluid replacement and if not done in the last few dozen thousand miles, consider replacing "some" of it to see if that makes a difference. If you don't know if or when the original ATF fluid was replaced, then I'd try to keep the old fluid drained out, in case the torque converter starts slipping and needs some of the old fluid put back, or add some thickener Goop-In-A-Bottle™ to increase the viscosity back closer to where it was... just suggesting, that if it's not the tranny and it starts slipping, then you have two things to deal with.

Try revving the engine with it parked. I'm wondering about bad motor mounts. Another thought is, beginning of misfires but not enough to set a code yet, nor notice once RPMs are higher. A scan tool with live data might pick up some anomalous reading(s).

If it is your transmission, I'd wonder how long since an ATF fluid replacement and if not done in the last few dozen thousand miles, consider replacing "some" of it to see if that makes a difference. If you don't know if or when the original ATF fluid was replaced, then I'd try to keep the old fluid drained out, in case the torque converter starts slipping and needs some of the old fluid put back, or add some thickener Goop-In-A-Bottle™ to increase the viscosity back closer to where it was... just suggesting, that if it's not the tranny and it starts slipping, then you have two things to deal with.
We just bought it about 2 months ago and have only put maybe50 miles on it. I have no idea the history on it. Thank you for the info

Could be anything. suspension bushings, motor mounts, tans mount, shocks, body mounts, driveshaft u joints,
Really have to try to isolate it. These things are also normal in many cases if your not used to the explorer. Theses gens are not known for ride quality.

If you have a Firestone tire/ repair center near you for $10 measley bucks they'll test drive it and put it up on lift and inspect everything (in hopes of course you'll pay them to fix whatever is wrong $$) .... I would start there...if they're able to determine it with that or narrow it down to specfic area tell them "Thanks...here's your $10 ...see ya"! and then report back here and we'll tell you how to fix it! My local Firestone HATES ME! ...imagine that! ...oh and I dump off my oil / trans / gear fluids and coolant there for FREE disposal !... I drop off at side wall and zip out before they recognize me! 😁

^^^ good advice. I do this when I’m stumped, or when I want a second set of eyes to confirm something before I tear into it.

If they don’t charge a diagnostic fee (rare) slip the tech a nice tip, and they won’t mind you running away with the diagnosis

Back