2002 Explorer Transmission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer Transmission

Reaction score
City, State
Babylon, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 XLT
Would you please tell me what other automatic transmissions (year/make/model) are interchangeable with mine:
2002 Ford Explorer, 4.0L V6, automatic, 4X4, 4 door, maufactured 8/01.
Thanks,
Larry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should have a 5R55W which is only used on early 2002 4 door Explorers.

Per several salvage yards - you can use 02 and 03 Ex's and Mountaineers

04 Ex's are interchangeable with 05's

Interchanging Transmissions

This undoubtedly becomes a question of whether the existing computer will adequately control a different transmission from the one it was originally programmed for. Lots of "monkey-around" experience properly documented would reveal what will, or what won't, work, but if the source proves to be wrong, a guy stands the chance of spending lots of dough and hard work to find out something is "not quite right". Just my thoughts..... imp

Agreed but manufacturers don't make sea changes in these vehicles that often - cost them money! Salvage yard(s) are fairly reliable in that database/software have made it just about (foolproof) as in reading what is inter-changeable w/ what. They don't want to refund $, nor find a customer the correct replacement trans/engine/rear end etc.

Agreed but manufacturers don't make sea changes in these vehicles that often - cost them money! Salvage yard(s) are fairly reliable in that database/software have made it just about (foolproof) as in reading what is inter-changeable w/ what. They don't want to refund $, nor find a customer the correct replacement trans/engine/rear end etc.

This is good to know. Thank you. Seems like the good ol' days of interchanging have gone kind of by the "wayside"......lots more variables now.....no more 332, 352, 360, 390, 406, 410, 427, 428 blocks, for example, all physically same when throwing one into an eng. bay....for example! imp :rolleyes:

Back