2002 Explorer V6 4.0 Engine Seized Up | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer V6 4.0 Engine Seized Up

After the last post I was not very motivated to do much. The bent connecting rod
and the fact that the timing is off, has pretty much sealed the fate of this engine. Its Shot.
I have listened to many with thoughts of why this happened.
Very interesting. Hydro Lock? Whats that? Timing chain guides. Bad head gaskets.
List of causes of such a catastrophic event can be long and complicated.
But my guess it all happened because FORD engineers had
a bad day, week, month. ( Do not tell my wife, but I think it is her fault )

054.jpg

With the engine down in my basement for the winter, and the Explorer snowed in,
there is time to figure out what to do next.

Replacing the engine seems the top goal. How and with what king of engine is
the big question. Rock Auto has a Marshal remanufactured engine for around
$2000.00 and $400 core. Sounds Good. But then questions arise.
What is, or is not included with this engine. Does it include a timing chain cover
and will it include a engine block cradle?

I am not sure what other kinds of engines are available with low mileage, but
that seems to me to not sataisfy my goal of having an Explorer that will be dependable
for the next couple years.
If anyone has some thoughts of what path I could take from here, shout them
out. I would love to hear about some options.
Long Block? Short Block?

Are any parts of the engine of any value? Can I in some way sell anything to offset
the cost of a replacement engine?

I am glad to see the community is interested in my situation.

Thanks for the update! I was wondering about the situation ever since I last read this thread in december. Wow :eek: at the snow.

Suggestion for an engine is go to www.fordparts.com and type in your vin number. I don't think the engines are too much more (if not the same) as the engines the other places sell.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update Winter---Summer--Fall(now)

Here it is The next Fall and no movement at all. The engines sits in the basement and the Body hasn't moved an inch. The cost of the replacement
is out of reach....

I have felt in the last week more motivated to starting something, but not sure what i want to do..

My ideas,

Finish taking the engine apart in basement. Get some of it stored in the back of the body.

Keep playing the lottery scratch tickets.

Haven't even read anything in these forums for at least 6 months.

Just an update
Thanks
MoonRocky

Just had the same problem a few weeks ago....parked the car, next day I had half a crank and thats it....my story is the same and as rare as yours. $2400.00 later I have a used engine installed that has 74k on it, mine had 95k. I feel your pain, it sucks.

I feel your pain here. I have a tranny and an engine going south. Its a losing battle. Thats why Im going back to second gens. They're actually built to last...

I wish you luck with getting this thing road worthy again.

Actually, I had a locked up, or seized, engine due to a clogged oil pump pickup screen. I had all 6 connecting rod babbitts left material on the crank rod journals. One of those babbitts even melted on the rod. i pulled the engine out, and we found the issue right after the oil pan was off. Now, I'm waiting to get a used crank from a 1996 4.0L OHV from a friend. That, plus a $450 rebuild kit, I should have close to a new motor again.
This 1992 4.0L OHV block has 345000 miles on it, and less than .001" out-of-round and taper to the bores. The ridge is less than .003" too. I'll be starting a new thread with the rebuilding, I just finished documenting the tear-down in another thread about Oil Pressure Gauge Not Working.

Back