2002 explorer wipers randomly dont work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 explorer wipers randomly dont work

c2harvey

Reaction score
City, State
Picture Rocks, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
I have a 2002 explorer that has developed a problem with the front wipers. When i turn it on from a cold start, the front wipers wont work for about a minute, even pushing the sprayer button does nothing, but all the othrr functions of the multi function switch work fine. While driving, the wipers will also randomly stop working, normally parked, but sometimes mid wipe. I tried cleaning the switch but that didnt seem to help much. Thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it seems to be getting worse, so any help would be great.

I had that problem with my 94 & 00. It has to do with the electrial connections in side the motor. I just replaced the unit with one from NAPA.

I have a 2002 explorer that has developed a problem with the front wipers. When i turn it on from a cold start, the front wipers wont work for about a minute, even pushing the sprayer button does nothing, but all the othrr functions of the multi function switch work fine. While driving, the wipers will also randomly stop working, normally parked, but sometimes mid wipe. I tried cleaning the switch but that didnt seem to help much. Thanks for your help.

I had the same problem with mine a while back.

I changed the relays with no luck. I changed the multifunction switch with no luck. I changed the wiper motor and bingo!

You said the washers only work sometime. This could be an issue with the washer pump and not related to the wiper issues, but I'm leaning toward the multi-function switch being faulty. Click here for instructions on changing it. If you need info on the relays for the wipers or washers let me know.

Good luck with the fix and be sure to keep us posted!

well, i got it fixed now. i replaced the wiper motor and it still didnt work, so i switched the relays around and they work. the relay clicked before when i turned the wiper switch on, so i figured the relay was fine, but i guess not.

At least you got it fixed! The relays aren't that bad. I paid around $8 a piece for them at NAPA.

Well, I had this issue with some vehicles, '93 F150, '02 Explorer and '95 Mustang. All had more than 60K mls when it occurs.

All of them had the same typ of wiper switch. What solved the prob on all three was replacing the turn signal/wiper switch unit.

I have the oppisite problem, when I use the turn signal, the wipers go on and when the turn signal cancels out, they turn on.
The arm has the turn signal and wiper functions and I guess the wiper part is dying or something.
Is there an easy fix or does the arm have to be replaced?

When more than one function is giving you trouble, it more likely the multifunction switch. Not fun to change, very little room to work, but if you have a good handle on mechanics and wiring you should be able to do it yourself. Just open the plastic (remove as many screws as you can) covering around the steering column, unbolt switch and carfully work the wiring plug off the switch. You probably will not be able to remove all the plastic covering, just get open it enough to get to the switch. I did one a Lincoln with a steering wheel than had all the fancy stuff.

I have the oppisite problem, when I use the turn signal, the wipers go on and when the turn signal cancels out, they turn on.
The arm has the turn signal and wiper functions and I guess the wiper part is dying or something.
Is there an easy fix or does the arm have to be replaced?

I would start by checking the connections on the Multifunction Switch (MFS).

Replacing the MFS isn't that bad at all. Here is the write up: How To: Replace Multifunction Switch in 3rd Gen Ex

Good luck and be sure to keep us posted. :thumbsup::D

Back