2002 Explorer

03ExplorerSPT

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Quincy, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport XLT Premium
Does anyone here have a 2002 Explorer XLS or XLT with the V6 engine? If so, what kind of gas mileage do you get and do you think the engine has enough power?

1995ExplorerXLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We just purchased a 2002 XLS 4x4 last month and so far it's getting about 17-18mpg around town. I think it has plenty of power, I haven't towed anything with it yet so not sure about towing power. I've towed well over a ton with my 91 and had no problems. Also we chose the XLS because it had a little less plastic on the outside and few less gadgets inside to give trouble. We also liked the the tube step over the plastic shelf step. The X-plan pricing was very good with the rebate stacked with it. Check with your employer you may be on this plan.

OT: If you're weighing it against the V8, I've owned 3, 4.6L V8 Fords and I don't think I want another one. I just don't think it's a long term engine. We had problems with the first and last one. The middle was okay but no where near the reliability I've had with my 4.0 V6. I may catch some flack for saying that but I've seen alot of problems with these 4.6's with other owners in the last year or 2.

302 is a Very good engine along with the 4.0 OHV, the ohv has some problems with that crappy A4ld trans tho

We have a 2002 Explorer, V-6, auto, 4 x 4. We just did two trips (2,000 and 3,000 miles). The speeds were 70-80 mph on Interstates. There were two people and a batch of luggage and etc. The gas mileage was 17.0 (+ or - a bit)

Around town and via short drives (we live in the mountains)the mpg are about 14.8 mpg.

I have the towing package, so the rear end ratio might be 4;10? I am quite certain the ratio is different when one adds the towing option. My guess is that the standard ration is 3.73, however.

Wow sounds great. My current Explorer gets 11 MPG with the 4.0L OHV. Looks like I can look forward to better gas mileage.

1995ExplorerXLT

My Ex gets about 13 MPG city, which is pretty good considering it has 121,000 miles and I have a heavy foot. :D

We have a 2002 Limited 2WD with the 4.0L/auto/3.73LS combo. We are very happy with it. After about the 3000 miles, the engine really comes alive power wise. We have about 6000 miles on it now. I would say city mileage is about 14-15, 17 mixed and close to 19-20 highway when you are doing 75 or so.

1000020105_11192001100054AM0.9314997.jpg

--Sean

I have a 2002 Eddie Bauer 4.0L 4x4 with about 3,500 miles. I am somewhat dissapointed with the gas mileage. The sticker claims 15 mpg city and 20 mpg highway. I'm lucky to get 13 around town and about 18 on the highway, which isn't much below what the sticker says. However, it's been my experience that the mpg quoted on the stickers are usually easy to beat, especially considering that I am driving (accelerating) very easily because I am so aware of the mileage. Has anyone else experienced similar results? The dealer agrees that this seems low, but is unable to correct it.

As your truck gets more miles under it's belt your gas milage will improve..also make sure the tires are inflated proporly.

>As your truck gets more miles under it's belt your gas milage will improve..

If this is true then why does my Explorer with almost 59000 miles still only get 11MPG with the 4.0L OHV V6 with 3.27 gears?

it's those 3.27 gears....on the highway your X should get extreamly nice milage..in city it would suck down the gas
It also depends on the driver and the gas. i get 18-20 MPG mixed driving running 87 octane and driving medium-agressive. i have 3.73 and 31" tires and over 115,000 miles....

OH so that explains why in town driving is so bad. I try to keep a light foot to improve it. Well this weekend I'll be going to a city about 45min. away so maybe I'll have better MPG on this next tank when I fill up on Friday. Thanks! I really learned somethin just then.

1995ExplorerXLT

yeah If you were to run an entire tank of gas on th ehighway (say cruise set at 65) I think you would easially get 20+ MPG. I heard the highest milage attained was 24 MPG on the highway and I think it was a 3.27 gear ratio.

i only get 13-15 hiway... i have the 4.10 gears, but also 16 inch wheels... i thought that would cancil the high geering out... any ideas as to how to improve economy?

The 4.10 would not be good for highway driving. it would be best suited in the city. The 4.10 is made for towing power. my 3.73 is sort is also too high for good highway milage, but upgrading to 31's made my milage a bit better. If you've got the 4.10's and already have the P255/70R16 tires and you have no lift, there really isn;t much else you can do. It's just the downside of those gears.

Mark, I thought the same thing... Usually got better milage with my cars than the sticker. Not with the Ex though. Think it just has to do with being a truck, plus the 20MPG highway, thats done at 48mph I believe......

Originally posted by unabonked
i only get 13-15 hiway... i have the 4.10 gears, but also 16 inch wheels... i thought that would cancil the high geering out... any ideas as to how to improve economy?

Yep! That's what sucks about us having 4.10 gears. I can't believe your mileage is that low on the highway. My figures are about 16-18 mpg on the highway, but in the city, I get around 12-14 mpg. But hey, I enjoy that extra punch when you really need it in the city. :D

Originally posted by TPLYNCH
Mark, I thought the same thing... Usually got better milage with my cars than the sticker. Not with the Ex though. Think it just has to do with being a truck, plus the 20MPG highway, thats done at 48mph I believe......
48 MPH highway?? My truck isn;t even in overdrive at 48 MPH!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1995ExplorerXLT said: If this is true then why does my Explorer with almost 59000 miles still only get 11MPG with the 4.0L OHV V6 with 3.27 gears?

Does it run ok? The reason I ask is the only time mine 91 got that 12-13mpg was when the Fuel Pressure Regulator went bad. It ran ok but the mileage went to hell in a hand basket. I replaced the FPR and cleaned the O2 sensor and I was back in business. I consistently get 23mpg on my 91 and have got as high 24.3mpg. I filled up this morning and got 23.2mpg. Just curious.;)

Back