2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 Transmission Problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 Transmission Problems

97poizn

Reaction score
City, State
Orange County, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer EB V8
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 4x4 with 124k on it. Yesterday while driving the O/D light began to flash, the Check Engine light came on and it has trouble shifting from 2nd to 3rd. It is my wife's car. She is taking it to AAMCO for a free diagnostic check today but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Expect to be buying a transmission. Mine did the same thing, and it was diagnosed as the solenoid pack was bad. Almost $500, I had a new solenoid pack in the transmission, but the problem didn't go away, until I traded the car. The best rebuilt transmissions are made by Jasper, since they manufacturer better replacement parts that replace the weak parts installed by Ford. Their guarantee is the best in the industry, but the cost is quite steep, and many times, it can exceed the value of the vehicle, when you calculate the cost of labor and the transmission. If you can do the work yourself, the transmission itself is quite expensive. In my case, the car wasn't worth the expense, because of the New England rust worms feasting on all the steel.

Thank you for the info. The car is being diagnosed right now. I hope it isn't the whole tranny that needs to be replaced. Every gear works perfectly fine besides the shift from 2nd to 3rd.

Back