2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac to sell or part out? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac to sell or part out?

genesiss

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 sport trac
Good afternoon everyone! I am looking for some honest opinions. I have had my 2002 Ford Explorer for 9 years, it has been sitting for one year because when my wife was driving it there was a sudden loud clatter from the engine. I checked it and it's coming from the drivers side front corner. She also says that the trucks power diminished so I assume what I have is a bad timing chain and possible a bent valve or worse which means total engine replacement. The body is in good shape, no other issues and good inside and out.

My question is this, we have no use for the truck at this moment and I have a standing bid for $1600 cash. I also considered parting it out but then I'll have to tow away the remains. What would you do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With a junk engine I don't think it's worth $1600. The SOHC 4.0L engines are expensive to buy as remans and used engines need to have the timing chain components replaced, which is a fairly evolved procedure and not inexpensive if you're using quality parts. Then there's the V6 transmission which would probably be the next expensive repair on the horizon.

Parting out would bring more money than selling it whole, but it will probably take a long time to get rid rid of it, plus a lot of hassle.

I'd try to sell it whole. Stick it on CL for $1500 and take what you can get for it. You can always come down.

Edit: I didn't realize someone actually offered you $1600 for it. Take the money!

I have just the opposite problem!! I got into an accident with mine and now it needs a new front clip. The drivetrain in mine is in great shape and it still runs but needs a new radiator to be able to drive it.

Where are you locatated? If you're going to part it out I would be interested in alot of the parts or maybe even the entire truck if you are logistically close to me

I have just the opposite problem!! I got into an accident with mine and now it needs a new front clip. The drivetrain in mine is in great shape and it still runs but needs a new radiator to be able to drive it.

Where are you locatated? If you're going to part it out I would be interested in alot of the parts or maybe even the entire truck if you are logistically close to me

A front clip from a Sport would be easier to locate. I believe they're identical.

I just picked up a Sport for a few hundred bucks. It's the exact same year and color as my Sport Trac and has every part that I need to get mine back on the road

I just picked up a Sport for a few hundred bucks. It's the exact same year and color as my Sport Trac and has every part that I need to get mine back on the road
If anybody is interested n parts let me know what you need. It's got a bunch of new parts on it with a strong running 4.0 with around 150,000 miles

Hey guys, Don't mean to be rude but you have to be a paid Elite member to be able to sell anything on this site. Check the rules before posting please. Thanks

Back