2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 lights flashing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 lights flashing

caseyrcbennett1980

Reaction score
City, State
Williams Lake
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT. The 4x4 is not engaging. The 4x4 High light blinks when the engine starts and then stops after a few seconds. As well, the lights will blink periodically when on the road, but only for a short period of time. I've read it could be either the Transfer Case Motor or the Transfer Case Shifter Module. How would I go about testing either of these to find the exact problem? Thank you in advance!​

Did you do a search here because I could have sworn I saw this information before!

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT. The 4x4 is not engaging. The 4x4 High light blinks when the engine starts and then stops after a few seconds. As well, the lights will blink periodically when on the road, but only for a short period of time. I've read it could be either the Transfer Case Motor or the Transfer Case Shifter Module. How would I go about testing either of these to find the exact problem? Thank you in advance!​

A

I had a similar issue on my 98 Ranger, The bumper in the shift motor was worn, allowing the sector to travel past the contact, which resulted in a fault.
The shift motor can be connected to 12v directly for a few seconds, reversing the polarity to check the motor.
I fixed my problem by rotating the bumper to an unworn area, and it worked fine for years after

Back