2002 ford explorer xlt blinker light and brake light won't work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 ford explorer xlt blinker light and brake light won't work

Sally9999

Reaction score
City, State
Hayward, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
I had some work done on the steering column. Once that was fixed, I noticed the left blinker was blinking fast. Turns out the bulb works fine but the blinker or break light won't work. My brother switched the sockets, now the left blinker and break works but not right away. And the right light is on but blinker and brake don't work and flashes fast in dash. So he replaced the socket with a nrw one but the problem is still there. Now what?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had some work done on the steering column. Once that was fixed, I noticed the left blinker was blinking fast. Turns out the bulb works fine but the blinker or break light won't work. My brother switched the sockets, now the left blinker and break works but not right away. And the right light is on but blinker and brake don't work and flashes fast in dash. So he replaced the socket with a nrw one but the problem is still there. Now what?

I'd take it back to the people who worked on the steering column. Obviously they screwed up something. You shouldn't have messed with the sockets. Now they'll probably say that you messed it up. Can you put the socket(s) back to the way they were originally and take it back?

I'd take it back to the people who worked on the steering column. Obviously they screwed up something. You shouldn't have messed with the sockets. Now they'll probably say that you messed it up. Can you put the socket(s) back to the way they were originally and take it back?
My brother did the work. Do you think it's something in the steering column? If so, why would the problem switch sides when the socket is switched?

My brother did the work. Do you think it's something in the steering column? If so, why would the problem switch sides when the socket is switched?

I have no idea what your brother did. Pretty much everything regarding the turn signals and brake lights runs through the steering column. Typical issues involve the multi-function switch. What exactly was done when working on the steering column? If someone has already messed around in this area and you brother also did something, it will be nearly impossible for anyone here to be helpful.

I have no idea what your brother did. Pretty much everything regarding the turn signals and brake lights runs through the steering column. Typical issues involve the multi-function switch. What exactly was done when working on the steering column? If someone has already messed around in this area and you brother also did something, it will be nearly impossible for anyone here to be helpful.
The shift column broke. It was replaced and I'm looking at the column and everything looks to be attached. No loose wires.

Do you know why the tail lights would light up but the blinker or break lights wouldnot work? Then, I put the original socket back on the light the worked but now that one has the same issue.

Sally,

You need to post this in the explorer section, not the explorer sport trac section. With our sport tracs the hazard and turn signal are all controlled by a turn signal switch. It also controls brights and windshield wipers. On our vehicles, this does not have to be replaced to fix the gear selector. However, your brother may have hit on and off, or somewhere in between the hazard button. Definitely make sure that button is not engaged by pushing it a couple of times.

When the turn signal sound clicks fast when engaged this is by design to let you know you have a bulb out. Be sure all your bulbs in the rear are good.

I had some work done on the steering column. Once that was fixed, I noticed the left blinker was blinking fast. Turns out the bulb works fine but the blinker or break light won't work. My brother switched the sockets, now the left blinker and break works but not right away. And the right light is on but blinker and brake don't work and flashes fast in dash. So he replaced the socket with a nrw one but the problem is still there. Now what?[/QUO

Try raising your steering wheel. Simple - but it just might work. This happened to me...

Back