Help with driver rear turn signal and brake light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with driver rear turn signal and brake light

jmhjgh

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
I am trying to troubleshoot a 2004 Explorer turn signal issue. Issue: no rear driver side turn signal or brake light. All other lights work correctly. When the left signal is used, the flasher and front left blink fast because there is no rear bulb working. Hazards only light the other 3 bulbs, but flash at the correct timing. Center and right rear brake light work, and both rear tail lights work. I read posts about the steering column and have removed covers to look for any wiring issue but did not notice anything. The stalk appears fine, and all other items on the multi-function switch work. Fuses and relays appear to be operating correctly. What to try next? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am trying to troubleshoot a 2004 Explorer turn signal issue. Issue: no rear driver side turn signal or brake light. All other lights work correctly. When the left signal is used, the flasher and front left blink fast because there is no rear bulb working. Hazards only light the other 3 bulbs, but flash at the correct timing. Center and right rear brake light work, and both rear tail lights work. I read posts about the steering column and have removed covers to look for any wiring issue but did not notice anything. The stalk appears fine, and all other items on the multi-function switch work. Fuses and relays appear to be operating correctly. What to try next? Thanks
I had a 03 trac where the blinker didnt work. I fixed it by adjusting the steering wheel a little bit.

The connection might look good, but not good. I used a angle needle nose plyers to push the pins together. Then used hot glue to hold it together. Dave P.

The tilt of the wheel does not seem to make a difference. There are three electrical connectors on the multi-switch, which connector should I be focusing on?

Thanks for the link. The 2004 has a very different set of connections and a different multi-function switch. The bundles are zip tied to the column and I do not think they have a lot of strain when the column moves. I have ordered a new switch assembly, but I am not sure that is the problem. Otherwise something has damaged two wires (one for left rear brake and one for left rear turn signal) and I will have a hard time finding it.

Back