2002 max tire size | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 max tire size

What would be the best size tire to run on a 02 explorer with out rubbing on stock wheels.
275/70R16
265/70R16
255/70R16

I want the width more than hieght but a little hieght never hurt no one. The truck is completly stock.

I did a little research out side this site and found that ppl were running the 265's with 20. My question is do they rub and if not would it be ok to run the 275's but if the 265 rub I will go with the 255's. I am going to be running the BFG AT KO's (my opinion the best all around tire).

Thanks,
Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok I just did some math and I think my best bet would be to go with the 255's but they might be a inch too high if there is anyone out there that has any experiance with the 2002+ body style I could really use you opinion Thanks

I heard you could go up to 295's with the '02+ with the right offset.

He is talking about stock wheels, so offset isn't being changed.

Sorry, I can't help any. I am not familiar enough with the 3rd Gens.

Originally posted by X~FACTOR
I heard you could go up to 295's with the '02+ with the right offset.

That's 32" tire diameter. I don't think a 3rd generation can fit that w/o a lift.

Yeah was looking at running the 255 or 26570R16 but dont know if they will rub I know the 255's came stock on the 2nd gens and the biggest tire that ford put on the EB 3rd gen is a 245 but I still think that is tiny let me I am sure this is a question that will appear again in the future

Thanks keep the info coming
Matt

Originally posted by Blee1099
That's 32" tire diameter. I don't think a 3rd generation can fit that w/o a lift.

I was thinking of 295/40-20 but like Robb mentioned he's looking for something that will fit the factory stock wheel. If its like the 2nd gen I know you could fit up to 275 on the factory wheel without rubbing. I have 265/70-15 on my 15x7 stock wheel and there are still plenty of room under there.

Originally posted by X~FACTOR
I was thinking of 295/40-20 but like Robb mentioned he's looking for something that will fit the factory stock wheel. If its like the 2nd gen I know you could fit up to 275 on the factory wheel without rubbing. I have 265/70-15 on my 15x7 stock wheel and there are still plenty of room under there.

A 265/70/15 is only 29.6 inches..

The concern is more the width than the height.

Yeah I agree the width is more of a concern there is lots of room for height!! and a 275 would be phat on a stock explorer. You must keep in mind this ex will never see hardcore mud just more of a wider tire for handling and to also use up some of the wheel well space the 235/75R16 look sooo small under there!!

Granted, I'm new to Explorers, but not to cars and I'm a little surprised with what I am reading concerning tires sizes and wheel sizes on this forum.

If handling is what you are after, shoving a wider tire on the same wheel isn't really going to help you. From what I've been reading so far, many on here are putting too wide a tire on too narrow a wheel.

If the wheel is 8" wide then you should go with a 245, 255 tire.

If the wheel is 9" wide then a 275 or 285 tire is what you need.

Why people here are putting 275's or more on an 8" wheel or 265's on a 7" wheel, I have no idea, but for proper handling, and performance that is too wide a tire for that size wheel.

Just for reference, my experience comes from owning several muscle cars over 400 hp set up for racing ( either drag or street ) so I am very familiar with proper tire/wheel combinations.

Good luck with your tire search.
Jeff

I agree with you on that but you must understand where I am coming from the 235's that come stok on the 3rd gen explorers are too small for the rims 275's would look phat on that truck but I think if I was going to go that big I would have to get a wider rim. The problem is that when I drive my buddy truck the tire seem as if they are folding under the rims. I have noticed in the past (my background extreme 4x4 on rare vehicles such as pathfinders and also lots of aftermarket modifications on mustangs) I have noticed that a wider rim will make a difference but usually OEM tends to undersize it's tires on must of there rims unless you buy a "eddie bauer or limited" for example. I plan to go with the 255's because I think the 265's would rub on the front valance

Another thing to think about is that the same tire size, for example 275, could be different widths from different manufacturers of tires.

What I mean by this is on my SS I had 17x9.5 wheels that came stock with 275/40/17 tires. When I looked at replacement tires I found that Bridgestone tires in 275/40/17 were narrower than BFG 275/40/17. So if I liked the Bridgestone tire, I could actually go with the 285/40/17 and get the same width of tire as the 275 BFG. Does that make sense?

I see what you mean by the auto maker possibly undersizing the tires. My wife's Jeep Cherokee has 15x7 wheels and it came with 215 width tires whereas my Explorer has 15x7 wheels that have 235 width tires on them.

Every width wheel has a range of tire sizes that are correct, and you can even "fit" other tire sizes on that wheel, but that doesn't mean those are the proper sized tires for that size wheel. I know some people that insist on putting 245's on a 9" wheel when 275's are the proper size. And I've also seen people put 315's on a 9.5" wheel when the proper size wheel for that size tire is an 11" wide wheel.

I would just recommend that you stay within the proper size tire for the size wheel you have right now, and if you want to go wider to get a mean look, upgrade the wheels.
Jeff

Thanks for the support although 315 can be mounted on a 8" wheel and I am sure that a lot of ppl on this site will agree and not have a problem. but from experanice I have mounted a 33x12.5R15 SS on a stock Nissan 6.5 wide rim. They balloned like crazy but we never popped a bead even with 10psi. But that is enough about that Thanks for the advice

Does anyone have any suggestions about installing a 255 and the rubing concern? If not I think that is what I will do.

I had 265/75/16 on my '98, and wanted the dealer to put them on my '02 XLT when I bought it. They swapped a front wheel first to check, and it looked like there was plenty of room. Then they mounted the tires on the '02 wheels and put them on, and there turned out to be a whole lot less room. There was only a couple mms space between the front inside sidewalls and some part (control arm?) of the suspension. If you aren't getting new wheels with less backspace, I wouldn't go more than 255.

thanks for the advice man That is what I had thought but wasnt sure I am glad that someone else on here is thnking of the future of explorer mods on the newer explorers. But I was looking at the truck yet day and doing some measurements and looking at the 255's on other ex's at workand thought if I went any bigger than 255/70R16's I would be rubbing on the front valence. So I think I will stick with the safe bet and your advice and go with the 255's they should look mint I just hate the look of the 235's Thanks again

Back