max tire size | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

max tire size

what I got: 2003 sport 2 dr 4x4, 5 spd, stock everything.

I looked over the other threads that address this but found that not all agree. To fit bigger tires I think I should do a 1.5"-2" TT in front with AAL in the rear to fit 265/75 (or) 70 R16's, but not sure which size to use. Thinking of using BFG AT's on black steel wheels.

I went to a 4 wheel shop and they told me this could be done. Are we right? If not, what max size could I fit without a TT and AAL?
thanks for any input
-jowood

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're buying new wheels anyways why not go down to 15" ones? That what I would do. Just run some 31" BFG ATs and you'll be set.

I dont see why i couldnt go to 15" wheels? is there a difference and would that matter on my sport?

I threw some 15's on my GF's old Sport. It's nice because the tires are a lot cheaper.

I don't know if the newer Sports use the same spindles and brake components. But I think they do. You may want to verify or at least test fit someone's 15 incher on your truck.

Long as the rim will clear your brake calipers, youll be able to run a 15" wheel. Youll have a little bit more sidewall flex on rocks/ un-even terrain with smaller wheels.

Thats why sports cars have low profile tires, better handling/stability on the street so thats the trade off. Shouldnt notice much diff going down to a 15" thou.

I actually didnt know you could lift a 2003 X. :p

the rock crawler wheels actually have a enlarged inner diamter on wheels for "larger brake components".

I read somewhere that if a vehicke was not offered with a wheel below 17" then you cannot go below 17"... because of the size of the brakes.... so you X should be fine with 15" wheels

Back