• Register Today It's free!

2002 Mercury Mountaineer Mods

yabismal13

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello Everyone!

I own a 2002 Mercury Mountaineer V8, and am looking to update the interior (trim, seat covers, dash, etc). After that, I'd like to make some modifications to the exterior, and then eventually some mechanical changes to bump up the mpg.

I know that this is an Explorer forum, but I couldn't find any Mountaineer forums online, and since the two are almost the same car, I figure this would be the best place to ask.

Anyone know of good websites for interior mods? Also, any tips or ideas?

Thanks,

-Rick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site fella, and you are in the right spot :thumbsup:

can you elaborate a little more about what you wanna do on the inside of your mounty ???

you into the street truck or offroad look ?

I should start off by saying that I'm not the original owner on the car, and that some of the interior material has been lightly scratched, sun damaged and/or oxidized. The exterior itself is is pretty good condition for a 2002. Everything in the car is stock.

As for the mods, I'd like to go for the street look, both on the interior and exterior. My mounty has a tan interior and a gold exterior with grey trimming. Eventually, I'm going repaint the car a darker color, replace the grill, lights, side view mirrors, and rims/tires.

My immediate goal is to update nearly all of the interior. First, I want to replace the current plastic trim (heavily scratched) with trim that has the "brushed aluminum" look (or anything other than chrome that would look nice with the tan interior). I'd replace the center dash with matching trim.

Next, I'd like to do some work on the seats. The leather is starting to crack in the front, but all of the other passenger seats are in great shape. Ideally, I would want to replace the seats with a newer style, but for now, have decided to get fitted seat covers instead (until I can save up enough money). Would like to having something tasteful and clean, like those in the 2009/2010 mounty interiors.

The second seat of the second row folds down flat. There is a piece of plastic on the back of it that can be used to place things on. I'd like to replace that with newer material.

After that, I'd move onto the center console and update the sound system. I'd also like to replace the door of the center storage area, too.

It'd also be nice to add a second sun visor to cover both the windshield and the door (like the expedition) on both the driver and passenger side. Sometimes the sun in Vegas can be a little too much, so it'd be nice not having to switch the visor back and forth after turns.

This would be my first time modding anything with the interior other than adding floor mats (haha). Any suggestions, tips, or websites? There are a ton of salvage yards here, so I'm considering visiting those for parts if I can't find anything online.

Hope to hear from everyone with their ideas. Looking forward to this new project.

-Rick

junk yards are gonna be your best bet to start...

What kind of interior mods have you done?

stereo, and mossy oak seat covrs

HELLO ALL, i AM FROM NJ. AND I HAVE A 02 MOUNTIANNEER AND I HAVE TO CHANGE THE CORE SUPORT DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFO ON HOW TO GO ABOUT IT, THANKS,

Back