2002 mountianeers any good with late build? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 mountianeers any good with late build?

swarm87

Reaction score
City, State
west warwick RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt
a dealer near my house has a 2002 mountianeer V8 loaded, black, sunroof, 3 rows of leather barely over 100k miles. it has a build date of june 2002, they got it at an auction as a end of lease trade from a local ford dealer. they want 5800 for it(they basically made the body mint, new tires, breaks, fluids; and will even finance the sles tax). i know people say to get an 2003 or, newer but isnt june pretty far into the model year and the issues would be ironed out? im probably going to test drive it tomorow after work after they finish the body work and wax it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a late '02 and have many of the common issues, including a ceased engine that may have been due to a blown head gasket/coolant loss. The only issue I haven't had.....yet....is the broken springs in the rear.

2002 ford explorer V8
leak from oil filter housing adapter 100k
intake manifold cracked right at coolant crossover leaked into front plug 90k
shift interlock 80k
cruise control switch 110K
torque converter rattle since 50K

other than that great!

coundnt test drive today, they were getting ready to repaint after doing body work on it, but the onsite mechanic told me that everything was good. will test on monday morning. and is the explorer limited and the mountianeer same truck? price was upped to $5950

explorers and mountaineers in general are the same truck. The mountaineer premier would be the equivilent to an explorer limited. Main difference is that mountaineers are awd and most explorers are 4x4, some are awd but not as many as 4x4. There was also very few 4x4 mounties available early on, then they became either rwd or awd

isnt it true that if after 100k any transmission/engine problems that usually happen didnt happen, wont happen? or was the dealer full of $h!t, also what is the NBX trim level for a explorer(a dealer farther down the road has an '04)

He's full of crap. Not that the Mounty isn't good, the V8 had less issues than the V6 (with the '02 trucks) but any issue can happen at any time. But if anyone told me "Oh yeah- it's got 100k on it, if it makes it to 100k, no problems you would have had earlier will crop up now..." I'd walk out. I hate when dealers say stupid crap like that- they're mechanical, of course they can fail.

I wouldn't buy that Mounty. Get one that's original paint, and not messed with. He's way too eager to get rid of it, something doesn't sound right about it. If he bought it at an auction and is going to put all of that work into it to only sell it for $5,800 he bought it for nearly nothing- which means something was seriously wrong when he did.

The NBX is sort of a nice camping rig- had a roof basket, cleanable seats, rubber floors, etc... Not a stripper, but more purposed for outdoors muddy use.

HERE is a writeup on the NBX

My 02 mounty is still running strong. The only issue I have had is the rear springs. One has broke already. I have about 93K on mine.

STU

theres a 2003 limited across the street @ another dealership. do the 03's have the same problems as the 02's(another dealer down the street has a 05 xlt for the same price as the 03).

if the 05 is the same price as the 03 as long as the miles arent all that high go for that. it should have all the bugs worked out but it wont have as many amenities as the limited or premier

speaking of 02 mountaineers... i may hijack this thread :)

scratch that. started my own thread.

Back