2002 Sport Trac Cruise Control Switches | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Sport Trac Cruise Control Switches

JimInRadfordVA

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Radford, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
The steering wheel mounted cruise control switches on my 2002 Sport Trac are cracked and shoddy looking. What is involved in replacing them?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The sad part is that the actual switches are probably just fine. The flexible switch covers harden to the point where they are inflexible. I've tried to soften the switch cover by soaking it in liquid silicone then heating it in a microwave oven. It did soften the switch cover temporarily. Once I put it in the freezer for an hour then let it return to room temp it was as hard as before I heated it. If you could just buy the flexible switch covers seperate from the assembly you could probably fix your cruise control for less than $20.00

Good point. I'm also concerned that if I buy "new" switches they may already be hardened by age. Or, is it the UV that does the damage?

Are there any other switches that would work. After market or from a different model? Dave p.

Its the UV, New switches would be fine. Also, I would think that those vehicles kept in a garage would be in good shape too...no UV on them all the time

Back