Rear drivetrain noise (not wheel bearings) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear drivetrain noise (not wheel bearings)

JB7795

Reaction score
City, State
Noblesville, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT 4.6L
Vehicle in question is an 04 Explorer XLT AWD with the 4.6L, I’ve browsed through the other threads and haven’t found anything I thought was identical to my issue they all seem to be regarding wheel bearings which all 4 of mine have been replaced with moog and Motorcraft, or they mention binding which mine isn’t doing either.

Done a lot of work to the trucks engine, new transmission, some suspension components etc so overall the truck rides fairly smooth other than this increasingly annoying noise coming from the rear end. I’ve taken a picture of my door jamb because I know there’s some sort of codes on that sticker that indicate what type of drivetrain setup it has, pretty sure it’s got the limited slip diff but I could be wrong? 🤷🏼‍♂️ I also took a short video of me driving the truck so you guys could hear it but I can’t attach a video *sigh*, I had both the rows of backseats out after helping a friend move so the noise became much more pronounced with the truck being pretty much hollow. I’m cruising at about 50 tapping my foot lightly on and off the gas pedal and every time I tap the pedal the noise comes then goes the moment my foot comes off the gas then if I leave my foot off the gas the noise will dissipate like I mentioned but then come back about 5 seconds later as the truck coasts down in speed. Most of you would probably think it sounds like a wheel bearing because it does but I’ve replaced all 4 wheel bearings already, I’ve actually replaced both rear wheel bearings 3 times because I thought maybe the autozone and oreilly brand bearings I pressed in were just junk so ended up putting Motorcraft entire hub and knuckle assemblies on the rears the final time and still having the exact same problem. Its a mix of two noises, a loud humming and a much more faint scraping sound but does not change pitch when cornering left or right like a wheel bearing normally would, but it does change if I’m driving straight and there’s a small dip in the road. The sound will be there then as it goes down in the dip and back up, the sound will almost disappear as I feel the weight of the truck come up out of the dip then reappear once it levels back out. I’m beginning to think somethings going on within the rear diff, also I’ve drained and refilled the transfer case, front and rear diffs (included friction modifier in rear), and replaced the driveshaft u-joints none of which corrected this problem. Wish I could just attach the video would make it much simpler than my long winded explanation lol

Attachments

• A5F7CCE9-4439-47A5-8D88-41B97A0530DB.jpeg
    A5F7CCE9-4439-47A5-8D88-41B97A0530DB.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 190

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check the differential? I had to rebuild mine and noise went away...

That’s what I’m going to check next, haven’t had the time to get under there this week but when you rebuilt yours was there anything specifically that you found? Was it just the bearings, clutch pack or was there damage to all the gears too?

That’s what I’m going to check next, haven’t had the time to get under there this week but when you rebuilt yours was there anything specifically that you found? Was it just the bearings, clutch pack or was there damage to all the gears too?

The pinion bearing was junk... to rebuild a diff is really not that easy for a first timer.. you need special tools that you can by at harbor freight tools to save... if it's the diff I would just buy a rebuild kit that come with all the bearings, crush washer and all different size washers to set your backlash..

Okay thanks so much for the tips man, it will be my first time rebuilding a diff in 10 years that I’ve been working on cars but I’m always up for a challenge lol. Already ordered the rebuild kit from rock auto along with axle shaft seals for both diffs (fronts are starting to leak a little) What tool are you referring to at HF? I got the inside track club there haha so I’m always there man like a kid in a candy shop

Okay thanks so much for the tips man, it will be my first time rebuilding a diff in 10 years that I’ve been working on cars but I’m always up for a challenge lol. Already ordered the rebuild kit from rock auto along with axle shaft seals for both diffs (fronts are starting to leak a little) What tool are you referring to at HF? I got the inside track club there haha so I’m always there man like a kid in a candy shop

Tools you will need...
1 In. Travel Machinist's Dial Indicator

6 in. Dial Caliper

Multi-Position Magnetic Base with Fine Adjustment

OEMTOOLS 1/2in Drive Torque Wrench

Dont forget the yellow paint.... good luck

Thank you!

Welcome.. let us know how you made out... while you waiting for parts you do some research on re building ford explorer differentials....

Welcome.. let us know how you made out... while you waiting for parts you do some research on re building ford explorer differentials....

Found the culprit, both carrier bearings need replaced but primarily the passenger side one it’s pretty toast. The race is fairly pitted and little bits of the bearing have come apart as well which leads me to my next question. Seems the ring gear has some very slight pitting in this one isolated area of maybe 3-4 teeth the rest of it seems unscathed, pinion gear also good, so is it okay to reuse these or would it be wise to just order new gears? COVID-19 has put a little damper on my disposable income at the moment so spending another $100 on gears is not ideal rn. But did a lot of research on the rebuild as well, I also have alldata manuals for all my cars so I’ve been reading through that as well. Feeling very confident about it now but might just order some extra crush sleeves and an extra pinion nut in case since it is my first time.
Edit: uploaded some pictures too, the driver side had just a little spot in it and then the passenger side...

Attachments

• 47C0CE0D-A506-4E77-9BB2-5782A5BD831D.jpeg
    47C0CE0D-A506-4E77-9BB2-5782A5BD831D.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 194
  • A372F224-D248-4692-88E7-8BE8FC6367E6.jpeg
    A372F224-D248-4692-88E7-8BE8FC6367E6.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 190
  • 46E9652B-22D9-4F9D-BD59-5D6B6B5401D8.png
    46E9652B-22D9-4F9D-BD59-5D6B6B5401D8.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 195

Found the culprit, both carrier bearings need replaced but primarily the passenger side one it’s pretty toast. The race is fairly pitted and little bits of the bearing have come apart as well which leads me to my next question. Seems the ring gear has some very slight pitting in this one isolated area of maybe 3-4 teeth the rest of it seems unscathed, pinion gear also good, so is it okay to reuse these or would it be wise to just order new gears? COVID-19 has put a little damper on my disposable income at the moment so spending another $100 on gears is not ideal rn. But did a lot of research on the rebuild as well, I also have alldata manuals for all my cars so I’ve been reading through that as well. Feeling very confident about it now but might just order some extra crush sleeves and an extra pinion nut in case since it is my first time.
Edit: uploaded some pictures too, the driver side had just a little spot in it and then the passenger side...

Well it's always a good idea to get new ring gears if there is any damage but if you think it's ok then just go for it....

Well it's always a good idea to get new ring gears if there is any damage but if you think it's ok then just go for it....
Alright I’ll get a couple pictures of them when I get back to the garage, see what you think

Alright I’ll get a couple pictures of them when I get back to the garage, see what you think
Only spot on ring gear that looks like that and the pinion gear looks like that all the way around but looking at that picture of the ring gear now it looks a little bit worse than I originally thought so I’ll probably just bite the bullet and order new gears as well.

Attachments

• 30B33580-97C1-4EFC-AD1C-C13D45A8081F.jpeg
    30B33580-97C1-4EFC-AD1C-C13D45A8081F.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 205
  • 6EFEFCA8-C52B-4936-ACC8-B9C863BF451A.jpeg
    6EFEFCA8-C52B-4936-ACC8-B9C863BF451A.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 192

Only spot on ring gear that looks like that and the pinion gear looks like that all the way around but looking at that picture of the ring gear now it looks a little bit worse than I originally thought so I’ll probably just bite the bullet and order new gears as well.

Yes you going to need a new set...

Hey
Just started reading your post.
yeah I’d go all new on the rebuild. You don’t want to get it all buttoned up and have problems. First thing you think is I probably should have replaced that ring. How much extra to do everything?

Did you do the rebuild yet?

Hey
Just started reading your post.
yeah I’d go all new on the rebuild. You don’t want to get it all buttoned up and have problems. First thing you think is I probably should have replaced that ring. How much extra to do everything?
Exactly what I was thinking so I just bit the bullet and ordered everything. Total from rock auto was $514...sigh

Did you do the rebuild yet?
Not yet man! Just went back to work this week so haven’t had time to get started on that, already have it all torn down and repainted the housing/cover just gotta put it all back together now will keep you guys posted on how it goes!

Back