2002 sport trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 sport trac

Mnesper

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Sport Trac
Sport trac is in anti theft mode and it won't start. Can't find the over ride switch under the dash just bought this used. Key doesn't appear to be original doesn't do say ford on it. Can someone help on finding the over ride switch. What does it look like

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no "override switch" or way around the security system. That would defeat its purpose. You can purchase new transponder keys off Amazon or eBay (you must have at least 2 functioning keys to program your own). You'll either have to have a locksmith with the proper tools you come to you or have the vehicle towed to Ford to get new keys programmed (assuming that's your issue).

I hope you didn't pay much for a 4.0L SOHC vehicle you can't even start.

Thank you for your response. Can it be towed. We'll need to get it somewhere where someone can do something.

I've read that there is an override switch underneath the dash. And that you push or toggle the switch for 5 seconds while the key is in the on position and this resets the anti theft system

Override switches are on aftermarket Viper alarm systems and similar. Installers have to conceal the override switch and point out to their customers where the switch is concealed upon installation. The factory anti-theft there's no way around it.

Check the fuses in the fuse compartment at the driver's side end of the dash. My '01 wouldn't crank over a year ago after I checked the fuses for another problem and missed getting one back in. It also acted like an anti-theft problem. A blown fuse would do the same.

One time I thought my anti theft system was going haywire. I tested my battery and it read well over 12v, so it had to be the anti theft based on the symptoms right? Wrong, my battery was holding 12v, but could no longer deliver the load needed to start my vehicle. Not saying for sure its the battery, but often times when there is some crazy problem with something not working, we think its some complicated issue, and often times its something very simple. Didn't get a full low down on how you diagnosed your issue, but if you haven't already, check your basics first: Battery, fuses, starter relay, fuel pump relay/fuse.

Even though it isn't the original key, before you bought the trac, I'm guessing you turned the key and the truck started during your test drive. May not be a key issue, but an electrical issue. Before you pay money for a tow, have a load test performed on the battery at an AutoZone, and go over all your fuses and terminal cables. Hope this doesn't sound smug or dismissive, just want to make sure you check the basics before getting it towed, as I have blanked on simple things like fuses myself. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Back