• Register Today It's free!

2002 Sport Trac

Jeff Starr

Reaction score
City, State
Lima Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer sporttrac
I have a 2002 Sport Trac two wheel drive that I bought with a bad 4.0L. I have a 2003 four door Explorer 4x4 with a 4.0L that I would like to pull motor out of and install in the sport trac. Everything I see shows these motors to be different what does anyone know about this??????????? Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 4x4 engine had a "balance shaft" within it I think. Other than that someone else will chime in. I'ld be concerned about the electronics.

The icing may be different but the cake is the same. You need to strip it to a long block and swap everything you took off from the original engine. Blocks, pans and heads are all the same, the dressing and sensors may be different.

The long blocks are the same. As said, you would need to strip off all the peripheral pieces from your old engine and swap them over.

Whether you are dealing with a 4x4 or 2WD engine, the balance shaft found in the 4WD isn't a deal killer for the swap.

bingo! What these guys said

Back