2002 wont go into 4x4 but lights light up.. Help me.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 wont go into 4x4 but lights light up.. Help me....

cgamla

Reaction score
City, State
East tawas MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt
I have an 02 explorer 4x4 but it will not go into 4x4. I have replaced the module about three years ago and all worked normal. The rear end went out and the ring gear bashed the hell out of the rear wheel speed sensor so I figured that was the problem. I put in a new rear end and I got my ABS back but no 4x4 action. It will not go into 4x4 under any circumstance. Or low range for that matter. But all the lights work as if it was going into 4x4 high and 4x4 low. I do not hear any clunking and the truck is definitely not in 4x4.
Am I needing a transfer case shift motor or another module? I don't know where to start. I thought that if the module went bad then I would not get the 4x4 lights but I do. In fact if you just look at the lights you would think the thing is working normally!! I looked all over for this problem but everything I read points straight to the module with no lights but I have lights. Thanks in advance for your help!!

When I was having issues like yours, it turned out to be a bad ground on the transfer case. Worth a look.

Good luck getting it sorted. :thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

Back