2002 XLS 4WD Front End Clunk and Vibration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 XLS 4WD Front End Clunk and Vibration

Ejectr

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
My wife's 2002 XLS has developed a clunk in the front end when turning. She said it also has a vibration when reaching 60 -70 MPH.

I checked the tire lug nuts...tight. I pulled on the tie rod ends. Seem tight. Haven't jacked it up yet to see if I have slop in the tie rod or ball joints. She just had front wheel bearings, front brakes and sway bar ends replaced about 4-5 months ago.

What else could it be? CV joint? Boots look OK.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My money's on worn lower ball joints. Lift from the LCA's one at a time and you'll find out. GL

Do you mean jack it up and then lift the LCA with a jack or bar, or do you mean jack it up (lift it) from under the LCA? I know back in the day, I just jacked up the wheel and lifted from under the tire with a bar to see if there was up and down slop.

Thanks.

I drove it today and it is more like a "pop...snap" sound than a clunck. Mostly on a 90 degree left turn from a stop, but ocassionaly over a bump.

I drove it today and it is more like a "pop...snap" sound than a clunck. Mostly on a 90 degree left turn from a stop, but ocassionaly over a bump.

If the pop/snap happens when you're at full steering lock, check your steering stops.
When dry, they can make an awful grinding, popping sound. Use heavy grease on the
contact points and do both sides. Yours will be different from the pic. Very cheap fix.

steeringstops-1.jpg

Mostly on a 90 degree left turn from a stop, but ocassionaly over a bump.

Did you happen to check the Stabilizer Link Bolts? When one of mine broke, you would hear it clunk on bumps in the road or turning sharply. During a sharp turn from a stop, you may also be having some wheel slippage and the auto 4x4 is kicking in for a second, causing the noise you hear. But that wouldn't explain hearing it going over bumps or at highway speeds.

Checked it out today. Ball joints OK...Inner tie rod end has a lot of slop. Left wheel was solid as as a rock.

Bad inner tie rod must be the problem as the pop is in the right wheel and that is the wheel with the slop in it.

Back