2002 xlt 4WD Won't Shift | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 xlt 4WD Won't Shift

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Part number for 4WD control Module for 1994 Explorer

This is to help future troubleshooters; this is what I went through, but had success! Hope you do to.

I had the same problem with the 4WD going out. I have a 2002 Ranger XLT 4.0 liter. I joined this forum to help others who might have this problem. It helped me to read other’s previous responses; so I thought I’d return the favor.

My problem turned out to be the electronic 4WD Control Module under the kick panel on the passenger’s side. It’s a small box and easy to replace. It’s pretty obvious which box it is because it’s really the only major box there, and says 4X4CM on it.

Here are the symptoms I had:
1) When starting vehicle, the “4WD” and “4WD LOW” lights on dash never illuminate.
2) After turning 4WD switch (knob on dash) there is no response at all, 4WD light on dash never illuminates and no clicking.
3) 4WD will not engage.

Here’s the way it seems to work normally (once I got the part installed and working):
1) When starting vehicle, the “4WD” and “4WD LOW” lights on dash momentarily illuminate right after starter engages and key is released to the “run” position.
2) After turning 4WD switch (knob on dash), 4WD light on dash illuminates and clicking is heard.
3) 4WD engages.
4) By the way, the “4WD” and “4WD LOW” lights aren’t supposed to illuminate when the key is turned to the point right before the starter engages. They only momentarily illuminate AFTER the truck is started. All the other dash lights light BEFORE starter engagement, but not the 4WD for some reason.

Before changing out the CM, I did this (so I didn’t waste $100 on a box I didn’t need):
1) Checked the electrical grounding lugs near the module with a meter.
2) Checked any fuse that said anything remotely about 4WD or powertrain.
3) Checked ALL fuses I could easily check. TIP: The ones that are smaller in size have 2 very small metal points to check with a meter without needing to remove the fuse, this saved a ton of time.
4) Checked the relay under the hood that said something about powertrain control module or PCM (I changed it with the one next to it for the blower), they seemed to be rated the same from what I could tell. I swapped them and tried the 4WD, no change.
5) I had a diode setting on my meter; I checked the powertrain control module diode.

When installing the CM, I disconnected the negative battery terminal first. Also, I’ve had past problems with another vehicle and the loss of the computer memory for idle control. Granted, I don’t know if this applies to the Ranger, but I played it safe so I didn’t have to redo it. So to “relearn idle” I did this:
1) Park vehicle in a place I could let it run for 10 min without moving.
2) Let engine cool several hours to attain a “cold engine”.
3) Disconnect battery negative terminal.
4) Changed CM.
5) Reconnect battery negative terminal.
6) Started vehicle, and let idle in park for 10 min on cold engine to relearn cold idle. Absolutely DO NOT drive or rev engine at all.

Then I put the 4WD on and drove crazily around the neighborhood on the snowy roads. Fixed! Whoo Hoo! Now I can plow my driveway again and save my back! Super Whoo Hoo!

I got the 4WD Control Module at www.directfordparts.com for $98 (plus shipping). The local Ford dealer wanted $185. The local dealer also wanted $80 to diagnose the problem. I had no way to test my CM, but took a gamble and it paid off. Whew!

Good luck everyone with the same problem. It seems to be a common problem w/this vehicle.

Hi!
Thanks for the extensive info. My truck is not the same model as yours however. I tried searching the www.directfordparts.com for my module and came up empty. Someone told me that the OEM and aftermarket for my part is either unavailable or tough to find (junkyards etc.) I was hoping you had a Ford part number for yours as maybe that part might work in my 1994 Explorer Eddie Bauer?

Lucky Fix to no 4WD

I found this forum and registered because it was so helpful to me. After reading the posts and noting that my dash lights did not cycle on and off at startup, I figured I would be shopping for a new control module.

I removed the kick plate and disconnected the two harnesses. I put them back on and wiggled them while doing so to do a layman's "fix a potential bad connection" thing.

I was lucky, it worked! A temporary fix or not, I don't yet know. However, the problem is definitely the C. M., or its connections.

Thanks

I found this forum and registered because it was so helpful to me. After reading the posts and noting that my dash lights did not cycle on and off at startup, I figured I would be shopping for a new control module.

I removed the kick plate and disconnected the two harnesses. I put them back on and wiggled them while doing so to do a layman's "fix a potential bad connection" thing.

I was lucky, it worked! A temporary fix or not, I don't yet know. However, the problem is definitely the C. M., or its connections.

Thanks

Yes, Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago and I bought a new module from www.directfordparts.com for $133. My 4x4 module would only work when warm (weird, eh?). The problem started happening after my battery died and I had to jump and then recharge it. You way want to keep testing your 4x4 daily to make sure the module is in good shape, because we all know the season for snow is here :p:

I have tried looking up this part at directfordparts.com and i can't seem to locate it under the 4wd control module. Can you please let me know if this is the part name that you looked up. I would greatly appreciate anything you can help me with on this matter. Please and thank you clyde kelley

1998 Ranger 4wd wont engage

No lights or "clicking" sound when 4wd selector knob is switched to 4 hi or 4 low. Plugged in a new shift motor, no action when knob turned. I am guessing its the control module, the truck sat for a while, but battery never went dead. I cant find a fuse marked for this circuit,(although there are indications of a #26 fuse that controls dome lights, (battery energy saver may be involved, fuse is good) nor can I find a relay under the hood. Here's the kicker, the dome light, including the switch on the dash failed to work at the same time, as did the warning chime when the lights are on and the door is opened. Could these circuits all be tied in somehow? At first, I thought this was the work of a mouse chewing on wires, but I cant find any evidence.
Is the module for this year also behind the passenger side kick panel?
Thanks for putting up with my long winded description, it's nice to know I'm not losing my mind and not alone with this type of issue. Any feedback is of course greatly appreciated.

Aggh, the 4x4 control, below and wiper...

No lights or "clicking" sound when 4wd selector knob is switched ...the truck sat for a while, but battery never went dead. ..... the dome light, including the switch on the dash failed to work at the same time, as did the warning chime .

Did you find a solution? This is exactly what mine is doing with the addition of the wiper motor. I am glad I did not start hauling things apart before I did some research.

Any thoughts
thanks
Charles

Any help with a 2005 Ranger?

No 4WD, when the switch is thrown, no click like there used to be when 4WD engaged and no 4WD. When I run the test mentioned above, "turn the key to start and after the engine starts and key goes back to run, the 4x4H and 4x4L lights will come on momentarily", well, the lights come on.

A friend told me about the 4X4CM behind the kick panel on the passenger side but when I opened the panel there's no module, there's the fuse panel for the truck.

So, two questions, could this still be something "simple" like the 4X4CM needing to be replaced? And where is the CM on the 2005 Ranger?

This is to help future troubleshooters; this is what I went through, but had success! Hope you do to.

I had the same problem with the 4WD going out. I have a 2002 Ranger XLT 4.0 liter. I joined this forum to help others who might have this problem. It helped me to read other’s previous responses; so I thought I’d return the favor.

My problem turned out to be the electronic 4WD Control Module under the kick panel on the passenger’s side. It’s a small box and easy to replace. It’s pretty obvious which box it is because it’s really the only major box there, and says 4X4CM on it.

Here are the symptoms I had:
1) When starting vehicle, the “4WD” and “4WD LOW” lights on dash never illuminate.
2) After turning 4WD switch (knob on dash) there is no response at all, 4WD light on dash never illuminates and no clicking.
3) 4WD will not engage.

Here’s the way it seems to work normally (once I got the part installed and working):
1) When starting vehicle, the “4WD” and “4WD LOW” lights on dash momentarily illuminate right after starter engages and key is released to the “run” position.
2) After turning 4WD switch (knob on dash), 4WD light on dash illuminates and clicking is heard.
3) 4WD engages.
4) By the way, the “4WD” and “4WD LOW” lights aren’t supposed to illuminate when the key is turned to the point right before the starter engages. They only momentarily illuminate AFTER the truck is started. All the other dash lights light BEFORE starter engagement, but not the 4WD for some reason.

Before changing out the CM, I did this (so I didn’t waste $100 on a box I didn’t need):
1) Checked the electrical grounding lugs near the module with a meter.
2) Checked any fuse that said anything remotely about 4WD or powertrain.
3) Checked ALL fuses I could easily check. TIP: The ones that are smaller in size have 2 very small metal points to check with a meter without needing to remove the fuse, this saved a ton of time.
4) Checked the relay under the hood that said something about powertrain control module or PCM (I changed it with the one next to it for the blower), they seemed to be rated the same from what I could tell. I swapped them and tried the 4WD, no change.
5) I had a diode setting on my meter; I checked the powertrain control module diode.

When installing the CM, I disconnected the negative battery terminal first. Also, I’ve had past problems with another vehicle and the loss of the computer memory for idle control. Granted, I don’t know if this applies to the Ranger, but I played it safe so I didn’t have to redo it. So to “relearn idle” I did this:
1) Park vehicle in a place I could let it run for 10 min without moving.
2) Let engine cool several hours to attain a “cold engine”.
3) Disconnect battery negative terminal.
4) Changed CM.
5) Reconnect battery negative terminal.
6) Started vehicle, and let idle in park for 10 min on cold engine to relearn cold idle. Absolutely DO NOT drive or rev engine at all.

Then I put the 4WD on and drove crazily around the neighborhood on the snowy roads. Fixed! Whoo Hoo! Now I can plow my driveway again and save my back! Super Whoo Hoo!

I got the 4WD Control Module at www.directfordparts.com for $98 (plus shipping). The local Ford dealer wanted $185. The local dealer also wanted $80 to diagnose the problem. I had no way to test my CM, but took a gamble and it paid off. Whew!

Good luck everyone with the same problem. It seems to be a common problem w/this vehicle.

After reading this post I decided my problem was the 4wd cm . I was going to order a new one this morning but then I went out to start my truck and the battery was dead. I got it started ,went to the battery store got a new battery..low and behold I now have 4wd. My symptoms were the same as the ones posted above. I hope this helps someone..

Xfer case shift issues

So, once again, my electronic xfer case switch is not working. I hear the clicks from the module on the passenger side, but no shift takes place. So, does that mean the xfer case motor on the xfer case itself is the culprit?
:rangertan:

I have a similiar issue but my 4wd light illuminates when starting the truck and then go out. Turn the switch and the 4wd light will not come on and it will not go into 4wd

I have a queston on this my 4WD HIGH light comes on but not the 4WD LOW could that be the module as well?
I had the same problem and fixed it easily, on the transfer case motor you will find 3 little phillips screws that you can loosen and barely rotate the cover. then check your switch again to see if it worked. youll notice on the screws of the motor cover that there is adjustments space, after you turn the cover retighten the screws

Back