Blueka's "Pickle" Registry.... | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blueka's "Pickle" Registry....

Since 2005 when I bought "Betty", my UK Explorer, I've wanted a sport...

well, now that I live in Canada, the chance has presented itself for me to get one...

This one.... it's a 99 sport, 4.0 SOHC... it's a total write off for the moment... but when I saw the advert on Kijiji I couldn't say no. It needed some love and I wanted a project to get stuck into, so I did my research and found out how much parts are gonna cost me etc etc.

So. I present.. Pickle.. (cos it's green and in a right mess)

Si
Explorer vin x.jpg
Explorer vin E 2.jpg
Explorer vin E.jpg
Explorer vin E 1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a bunch of ****! Sorry to hear that man...

Figured I'd Add, I don't usually swear on the forum but that pisses me off to see a fellow member working on a well loved project get ***** slapped perty much. I been watching the thread and your progress man.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Thats fricking awful. I would be out of my mind. Sorry to see something like this happen.

Did a bit more checking after posting the pictures and they've also damaged the centre console too... so I've gotta replace that aswell...... I really feel like calling it a day and scrapping it all

Si

Unfreaking believable! I hate (I know, strong word) vandals and thieves! Keep your chin up Simon, just some punks that need to have their parents slapped silly for doing such a lousy job raising them. They will get theirs in the end, life has a way of evening the playing field.

Pickle will come around, just take a breather for now.

Dam simon! Welcome to canada, home of the young offenders act b.s.! if bad it didn't happen (well to bad it happened period!) before we met up. I still have the stock lights off evil, and we could have ran to the wreckers for a window. Let me know if or when you come out again and will make a point of doing some parts hunting. The ride back had to suck to with the snow storm. That and I'm sure that panel stabbed you both in the back of the head at least once!

Thanks again for the parts, Sarah's mom is still in Brandon and will probably be going to Winnipeg again before she leaves, so I should get her to meet you... lol.. j/k.

It was just windy all the way home, very little snow... and we strapped the panel to the roof in the end, cos it was annoying everyone... I wanted to get pickle back in the shop and get cracking, but then I came home to that and the plans have changed somewhat.
Doing the tranny swap on Sarah's dad's explorer tomorrow and then he's talking about mothballing pickle until I get a job....

Si

Well, We finally got the FIL's tranny issues sorted out, 3 bad solenoids later and it's running like a dream, So, I got pickle into the shop, cleared out all the broken glass and changed over the interior trim panel that Tim (vroomzoomboom) sorted out for me.

All the broken glass in the back
14042010326.jpg

14042010327.jpg

New panel on (slightly darker tan, but it's not got holes in it, so I don't care for now)
14042010328.jpg

After cleaning it all out, I made a picture catalogue of all the parts I have so that I can make an easier job of putting it all back together when the time comes...
15042010329.jpg

15042010330.jpg

15042010331.jpg

15042010332.jpg

15042010338.jpg

There are a few other parts aswell, but I'm not quite sure what they are, so I'll post pics when I need to know and hopefully someone can tell me, but for now, Pickle has been wrapped up and mothballed till I get some money together to buy parts... :(

15042010347.jpg

15042010348.jpg

15042010349.jpg

15042010350.jpg

Si

Bummer bout the vandals. little scrotes
Just a note about your tarp on the front. If you have it on there a while, with the wind it will move a little and wear the paint at the corners. Ask me how i know!!! You could put a towel under there.

Thanks dude, I'm not planning on keeping it there long, but the paint at the front is damaged anyway from where they drove pickle thru a barbed wire fence when she was stolen last year (before I got her)

Si

so.... I thought it was about time to give a little update....

Firstly... the little turds that smashed up my truck got caught.. it goes to court on September 1st and I should know if I'll be getting some compensation for the damage they caused.

Secondly... I've decided that I don't want to rebuild the V6, or infact put a V6 in it.

I decided that for all the trouble of rebuilding a V6 to put it in.... only to take it out again and replace it with a V8, I might aswell just get a V8 in the first place... Besides which, rebuilding it is gonna cost me more than I can get a whole V8 donor for anyway.

Also, I can sell off all the parts I don't need and recoup some of my initial outlay.

So, I'm putting together a shopping list of things I want and I'll update as and when I get them...

99 onwards V8 donor (preferably a Limited or Eddie Bauer)
BW4406 with elec shift
Hood
Windshield
Tail lights
Rear Window
285/75/16 tires

That's all I can think of for now..... watch this space....

Si

That's great, Hope you make out in court. And good luck with the work on your truck.

So.... I'm left with a bit of a problem... I've searched the forum and I can't find the answers to the questions I've got... I might've missed something though, so if anyone knows please feel free to chip in...

I want to put the 5.0 V8 in my sport, I also want to do away with the AWD and put in an elec shift 4406.

What front and rear drive shafts am I going to need? The only shaft info I can find relates to keeping the AWD transfer case....

Thanks guys

Si

Well, After re-reading and reading some more I think that I've found out that I'll need the front shaft from the 5.4 V8 F150 or Expedition... but as for the rear shaft I'm totally stumped... wonder if the Sport front shaft will work.. or the rear one... hmmmm

Si

More than likely your going to have to get the stock shaft made to fit by a shop.
You will most likely have to wait until it's installed before you can measure.

I would find out the measurements from diff rigs such as a Ranger, & BII. When the time comes for the rear shaft, you can choose which will work best for your Sport.

Are you going with a Body lift or going to pound the floor up, to help clear the trans tunnel with the 4406?

Another problem I see here with the 4406E in the sport, is the fuel tank. It might be in the way.

Hopefully gonna put a BL on it to save pounding up the floor... Might just go AWD for the moment till I can get the appropriate parts.... fingers crossed...

Si

i agree with greg on this simon, get one made. i would take one from a 4 door, and send it in to a shop. it is easier, and cheaper for them to cut it, and re weld it, rather then lengthen it. its been awhile since i have had to get one made, but if i recall, cut, re weld, and balance was about $80.

The 4406 uses a slip yoke in the rear, thus none of the rbv driveshafts will work, so you will have to get a shaft shortened as the 5.4 expedition shaft is already the shortest one made.

cool, thanks guys.... the guy with the rollover has dropped his asking price, so hopefully, I'll be able to get it!

Si

Well, I finally got a rear window, so now I can keep the rain and snow out of poor Pickle.
Spent all Sunday messing about with various vehicles so I got the chance to fit it.

SSPX0322.jpg

SSPX0321.jpg

Just need to get some other parts now, like tail lights, and the running gear etc....

Si

Back