2002 xlt 4WD Won't Shift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 xlt 4WD Won't Shift

mkv

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ranger
hi, came across this site while trying to solve 4wd shift problem on my 2002 xlt ranger. I have searched the site and read the posts concerning this problem, but am looking for some more guidance. My 2002 is an 4.0 6 cylinder automatic, dial shift control on the dash. The truck is currently running in 2wd high only, confirmed by shaft position on the xfer case. I have pulled the shift motor from the xfer case and have tested the motor function by applying 12v to the leads... it will travel in both directions without a problem. Made a match mark on the cover and opened up the gear housing on the shift motor assembly and thats where things get different...the cover for the housing is sealed, no contacts are visible and no way to open it that i can tell. I pulled the gear assembly out of the housing and checked the stop on the back of the gear, appears to be in good shape (no flat spot from crushing, all intact) and of a slightly different design than shown in the sticky thread pictures (staked thru the gear, no phillips head on the back side). Reassembled the unit and reinstalled it per the excellent instructions on the site and no joy, still won't shift. I assume at this point the truck computer shift control still does not know what position the xfer case is in, therefore not allowing me to shift. Does the Ranger have a test feature on the board? If so, where is the board located? Am i stuck having to pony up for a new shift motor? Forgive me for the long first post and if this was covered elsewhere. Thanks for any/all help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when you start the truck does the 4wd and 4wd low lights cycle through their tests?

if not i had the same problem on my 02 xlt 4.0.....and it was the control module behind the passenger side kick panel. the terminals inside the control module were so corroded it couldnt be saved

purchased the truck used in 2006 (summer), the dash lights have never cycled for 4wd. Never noticed it was an issue until I tried to shift into 4wd last winter and no luck. No test cycle a pretty hard indicator for the control module?

yea if the 4x4 lights dont light up and go out when you first start the truck, its your controle module.

remove the passenger plastic kick panel trum and youll find a black plastic box with two wiring harnesses attached to it.

a warning to you, they are not available aftermarket, you have to either goto ford and hold onto something steady when you hear the price tag.

i got a used one from a salvage yard.

i swapped a control module from my buddys 01 sport to verify and the 4wd worked like it should

Long reply but maybe it'll help someone-Had 4WD problem

This is to help future troubleshooters; this is what I went through, but had success! Hope you do to.

I had the same problem with the 4WD going out. I have a 2002 Ranger XLT 4.0 liter. I joined this forum to help others who might have this problem. It helped me to read other’s previous responses; so I thought I’d return the favor.

My problem turned out to be the electronic 4WD Control Module under the kick panel on the passenger’s side. It’s a small box and easy to replace. It’s pretty obvious which box it is because it’s really the only major box there, and says 4X4CM on it.

Here are the symptoms I had:
1) When starting vehicle, the “4WD” and “4WD LOW” lights on dash never illuminate.
2) After turning 4WD switch (knob on dash) there is no response at all, 4WD light on dash never illuminates and no clicking.
3) 4WD will not engage.

Here’s the way it seems to work normally (once I got the part installed and working):
1) When starting vehicle, the “4WD” and “4WD LOW” lights on dash momentarily illuminate right after starter engages and key is released to the “run” position.
2) After turning 4WD switch (knob on dash), 4WD light on dash illuminates and clicking is heard.
3) 4WD engages.
4) By the way, the “4WD” and “4WD LOW” lights aren’t supposed to illuminate when the key is turned to the point right before the starter engages. They only momentarily illuminate AFTER the truck is started. All the other dash lights light BEFORE starter engagement, but not the 4WD for some reason.

Before changing out the CM, I did this (so I didn’t waste $100 on a box I didn’t need):
1) Checked the electrical grounding lugs near the module with a meter.
2) Checked any fuse that said anything remotely about 4WD or powertrain.
3) Checked ALL fuses I could easily check. TIP: The ones that are smaller in size have 2 very small metal points to check with a meter without needing to remove the fuse, this saved a ton of time.
4) Checked the relay under the hood that said something about powertrain control module or PCM (I changed it with the one next to it for the blower), they seemed to be rated the same from what I could tell. I swapped them and tried the 4WD, no change.
5) I had a diode setting on my meter; I checked the powertrain control module diode.

When installing the CM, I disconnected the negative battery terminal first. Also, I’ve had past problems with another vehicle and the loss of the computer memory for idle control. Granted, I don’t know if this applies to the Ranger, but I played it safe so I didn’t have to redo it. So to “relearn idle” I did this:
1) Park vehicle in a place I could let it run for 10 min without moving.
2) Let engine cool several hours to attain a “cold engine”.
3) Disconnect battery negative terminal.
4) Changed CM.
5) Reconnect battery negative terminal.
6) Started vehicle, and let idle in park for 10 min on cold engine to relearn cold idle. Absolutely DO NOT drive or rev engine at all.

Then I put the 4WD on and drove crazily around the neighborhood on the snowy roads. Fixed! Whoo Hoo! Now I can plow my driveway again and save my back! Super Whoo Hoo!

I got the 4WD Control Module at www.directfordparts.com for $98 (plus shipping). The local Ford dealer wanted $185. The local dealer also wanted $80 to diagnose the problem. I had no way to test my CM, but took a gamble and it paid off. Whew!

Good luck everyone with the same problem. It seems to be a common problem w/this vehicle.

2005 xlt 4WD Won't Shift

Very informative !
My 2005 Explorer XLT V8 does not shift into 4x4 high or low (buttons) and 4x4 does not engage automatically in auto mode.
If I turn key to "ON" and keep it there - 4x4 and 4x4 low lights will blink 3 times.
If I turn to "START" quickly - lights will flash 3 times with motor running.
It does not sound like control module, any idea could help greatly.
Thanks.

I have a queston on this my 4WD HIGH light comes on but not the 4WD LOW could that be the module as well?

I can't get 4 lo to work on my 1998 ranger. 4 hi works great. I rebuilt my shift motor that didn't fix anything. When I switch to 4 lo, the 4 hi light stays on and I hear no noises nor does the 4 lo light turn on. I removed my passenger side kick panel and the only major component I see is some crash module. Any help is much appreciated.

I can't get 4 lo to work on my 1998 ranger. 4 hi works great. I rebuilt my shift motor that didn't fix anything. When I switch to 4 lo, the 4 hi light stays on and I hear no noises nor does the 4 lo light turn on. I removed my passenger side kick panel and the only major component I see is some crash module. Any help is much appreciated.

JDog,
I just bought a 97 Explorer and it has the exact same symptoms you describe.
Did you ever figure out what is wrong with yours?

Thanks, Donnie

No. Like I said I rebuilt the shift motor, then I replaced the black box in the dash that makes the click noise when shifting to 4 hi. That still didn;t fix my problem. The only thing I can think is that the switch doesn't work (which is a pain to test because it only changes resistances and not continuity) or that the sensor that tells it that it is in neutral with brake depressed is not functioning. Sorry that you got the problem too. Any help would be great cuz it sucks without 4lo

maybe this will help

hi, came across this site while trying to solve 4wd shift problem on my 2002 xlt ranger. I have searched the site and read the posts concerning this problem, but am looking for some more guidance. My 2002 is an 4.0 6 cylinder automatic, dial shift control on the dash. The truck is currently running in 2wd high only, confirmed by shaft position on the xfer case. I have pulled the shift motor from the xfer case and have tested the motor function by applying 12v to the leads... it will travel in both directions without a problem. Made a match mark on the cover and opened up the gear housing on the shift motor assembly and thats where things get different...the cover for the housing is sealed, no contacts are visible and no way to open it that i can tell. I pulled the gear assembly out of the housing and checked the stop on the back of the gear, appears to be in good shape (no flat spot from crushing, all intact) and of a slightly different design than shown in the sticky thread pictures (staked thru the gear, no phillips head on the back side). Reassembled the unit and reinstalled it per the excellent instructions on the site and no joy, still won't shift. I assume at this point the truck computer shift control still does not know what position the xfer case is in, therefore not allowing me to shift. Does the Ranger have a test feature on the board? If so, where is the board located? Am i stuck having to pony up for a new shift motor? Forgive me for the long first post and if this was covered elsewhere. Thanks for any/all help.

have you checked the vacuum regulator? As far as I know, all automatic 4x4's have a vacuum modulator that is dependent on a rubber diaphram to put the truck into 4wd. That should be the first place to check. They screw up quite often.

JDog,
I just bought a 97 Explorer and it has the exact same symptoms you describe.
Did you ever figure out what is wrong with yours?

Thanks, Donnie

It seems obvious, but have you tried puting the truck transmission in neutral before trying 4 low? Thats the only way it will go into 4 low. stopped and in neutral. It saves the transfer case from accidentally shifting past 4 high if you twist the knob too far. Sorry I'm really not being a smartass. At first, I found the same problem.

Again, check the vacuum modulator. they go out quite often. The light blinks 3 times to let you know there is a problem with that system. Most of the time, that's the first thing that goes out on an automatic 4x4 system. Let me know if that is the problem. It happened to me while hunting and almost got me stuck.

Thanks I'll check it but I dont get any blinking light indication. I'll let yall know though.

Donnie

Rednecker1, thanks for your help. This problem is still haunting me to date. I am at college and probably won't get a chance to look into it until I go home for Thanksgiving. Again thanks, cuz it has me stumped.

Have anyone check the fuse in the engine compartment? I replaced the shift motor and checked all the possibilities and found out that one of the fuse was blown under the hood.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I installed the replacement module today in my '02 Explorer XLT... 4WD is back in business!

Back