• Register Today It's free!

2003 4.0 sohc

cjryan

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XL 4.0 OHV 4x4
I'm looking at buying a 2003 sport with the 4.0 SOHC. I know in earlier years there is a big problem with the timing chain. It is my understanding that they "fixed" the issue in 2002 and it's not as big an issue for the newer models. The truck has 68,000 mi. How long do these engines usually go?

One more thing... I think that starting in 2002 some of the Ex's were Flex Fuel (FFV). How can I tell if it is when I check out the truck today?

well i have a 2002 with the 4.0. the timing chain has rattled since we got it in 2004, and we have out on over 100 000 Kilometers. im sitting at about 240 000 KM. wich is about 146 000 Miles. As long as you change your oil regularly and dont drive like a mainiac then it will last forever, at least mine has.

usually if it is a FFV it will say somewere on the truck, their will be a badge on the back or the side, thats the only way i know how to tell.

AFAIK, the 2002 to 200? don't have the problem with the cam chain tensioners but they do have a problem with the primary chain tensioner.

I just replaced the tensioner and guide on my primary timing chain, at 76K miles. If you only replace those, then the job is much simpler than the task that is required for the older 4.0. Those require cam chain cassettes too, along with timing of all the chains using the OTC6488 tool.

Most have no identifing markers on the vehicle. Look for the 8th character in the VIN to be a "K" for Flex-Fuel.

Back