2003 Explorer electrical problem

dlibson

Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Limited
Hey all,

I got a weird one. Looking for any ideas...

In my Explorer when I turn on the rear defrost it makes the truck think there is a door ajar. Happens every time. I can shut the rear defrost off, and off goes the door ajar light.

Related or not I also have to keep my interior lights off no matter what. If I have them on, they will stay on. The door ajar light is not on under normal circumstances.

Any thoughts? I tried to scan it, but apparently 2003 lost the GEM controls...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

About 9 times out of 10 wierd electrical issues like that are traced to a broken ground wire in the drivers doorjam. The wires in the 'boot' between the door and jam get stretched and eventually one or two break. Seems like it'd almost always one of the black ground wires that breaks for some reason. So I suggest you inspect the wires inside there very carefully and pull on each one in both directions to make sure it's not broke just out of sight.

No GEMs anymore starting with late-build 2002 models. I believe most or all of the stuff handled by the GEM was integrated into the Instrument Cluster Modules at that time.

Good luck - let us know what you find out.

rrgone,

You were pretty close!

It was wiring, but it was in the lift gate. Which I guess makes sense with it being associated with the rear defrost. There were three broken wires, one of them being a ground! I have a Snap-On scanner and with the 03 I cannot look at door ajar sensors or anything, just basic ICM stuff. Bummer...

Thanks!!!

Thanks for the feedback! Where in the liftgate were the wires broken?

Which Snap-On scanner ya' got?

Where it goes from the body to the gate. Exact same issue as with a door. Right in the rubber protector.

I have a Modis.

Back