2003 Explorer TPMS? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer TPMS?

03ExploKRV

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT V6
Does the 2003 Explorer XLT V6 have TPMS? I'm the third owner of the vehicle so I do not have the original window sticker. How can one tell if the vehicle has TPMS or not?

I had new tires installed recently and noticed just regular valve stems. It got me to thinking if maybe the tire dealer screwed up. I have no lights on the dash saying anything is out of ordinary.

How can I find out whether or not TPMS was factory installed?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can turn your key to the on position and check to see if you have a symbol like this:
L4-GTij0BrjM_ciInGZGBsWblaaAEYfXS-tX2xDfjo-QGsDYUw.jpg
that will light up than go out.

Or you can let out some air out of on of your tires to see if this symbol shows....:D JK I would go with the first one...if you have it, it will shortly light up when in the on position..im pretty sure

also im pretty sure that everytime you cahnge your tires, you have to preset the tpms again. So it twos things if you did see any this symbol after the new tires:

1.) the tire dealer knows what he/she is doing and set the tpms back

or

2.) your vehicle doesn't come equipped with it.

you can cycle through the message center and see if the TPMS is on/off.

if you have regular valve stems & no beeps or dash lights, the TPMS isnt on there.

another resource is www.tirerack.com. type in your vehicle info it will tell you if it was even available at your trim level.

Rob

TPMS was an option unless you had the Limited.

Tpms sensors

Presence of The Tire Pressure Monitoring System sensors is easily seen by closely looking at the tire valve stems.

The sensors are built into the stems, and the stems are metal, & fastened to the rim by an outside nut, clearly visible, similar fashion to expensive metal stems sometimes seen as aftermarket items. They contain NO RUBBER.

Ford, being cautious, recommends the nuts be removed, and the sensor-stems allowed to FALL INTO the inside RIM, before "busting" down tire beads. Few shops do it. Care is necessary, as the sensor can be whacked on the inside of the rim, by the curved "spoon" of the tire machine tool.

When I decided to go to the 5-tire rotation scheme, (including the spare), I bought a bone-yard aluminum rim to match originals, and 1 sensor, which I installed myself. The new rim and sensor (and tire) went on the left rear, the dashboard "icon" light flashed about 8 or ten times first drive out, then stopped. This flashing scheme happens now and then, maybe every thousand miles or so. I assume it is the system checking itself. Tire pressure has remained at 35 psi all along. imp

(it's an '04 Explorer 4X4)

TPMS Legislation

TPMS Legislation - In 2000 6.5 million tires were recalled due to tread separation on autombiles in the US. This prompted President Clinton to sign the first version of the TREAD Act which required Tire Pressure Warning Systems to be implemented on Model Year 2004 automobiles. These were to include all passenger vehicles and light trucks with GWVR of 10,000 lbs and less.

A debate continued over the language of the ruling up to 2005 when the final rule was established on April 8 2005. NHTSA have stipulated that for 2008 all newly manufactured or imported US cars will be fitted with TPMS systems most of which use 'direct' sensors which are either part of the valve stem or banded to the wheel. These sensors transmit their own ID along with their pressure, temperature and other data to the vehicle ECU and the legislation defines the designated dash mounted warnings for the driver when a tire is under inflated/leaking etc.
TPMS Legislation

The phase in schedule for new vehicles was:
20% compliance for Model Year 2006
70% compliance for Model Year 2007 (9/1/06)
100% compliance for Model Year 2008 (9/1/07)

So all vehicles described in the ruling, made or sold in the US must have Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems by Model Year 2008. This ruling prompted significant plant system and aftermarket work for Bartec USA. The ruling meant that every time you need to rotate tires, replace a faulty sensor, change to Winter tires or Custom wheels then the ECU needs to be reprogrammed with the new ID and their position on the vehicle.

Here is a link to the actual rule from NTHSA:

http://www.bartecusa.com/downloads/TPMS-2005-FMVSS-No138[1].pdf

TPMS Legislation

TPMS Legislation - In 2000 6.5 million tires were recalled due to tread separation on autombiles in the US. This prompted President Clinton to sign the first version of the TREAD Act which required Tire Pressure Warning Systems to be implemented on Model Year 2004 automobiles. These were to include all passenger vehicles and light trucks with GWVR of 10,000 lbs and less.
Here is a link to the actual rule from NTHSA:

http://www.bartecusa.com/downloads/TPMS-2005-FMVSS-No138[1].pdf

Thanks much for this info! I should have known the TPMS idea must have had some kind of legislative bull involved, otherwise it would not have been implemented by mfgrs.......after all, many drivers pay NO attention to tire pressure, with the result that LOTS of tires fail simply because of inderinflation! This SELLS more tires! imp

Back