2003 Ford Ranger Edge 4R44E Transmission O/D OFF light issue. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Ford Ranger Edge 4R44E Transmission O/D OFF light issue.

BlueEdgeRanger

Reaction score
City, State
Frederic, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Ranger Edge
I have a 2003 Ford Ranger Edge, 3.0L v6 FFV, TRANS: 4R44E, and I am having problems with the O/D OFF indicator light. It begins blinking if I accelerate hard to above 30mph. Of course, when I turn the engine off the light goes off. Here's the thing that confuses me: If I accelerate slowly to 40 mph the damn light doesn't come on. I have disconnected the battery to reset the PCM, and the shifting is a little hard, but I think that is from the re-learn thing that the PCM does with the tranny. Other than that, this truck is the first truck that I've owned, and I love it!

Your 2003/3.0 trans should be a 5R44E. If it actually does have a 4R44E, it didn't come from the factory that way.

A flashing O/D OFF light means that there is a trouble code stored for an automatic transmission fault. Go to a dealer or trans shop and have it scanned to find out the code number and description. That will give you a direction to start troubleshooting.

Back