2003 sport Front washer not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 sport Front washer not working

Lee100

Reaction score
City, State
Mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer sport xlt
Hi all, first post here.
I also posted this to the new member section.
I have a 2003 Explorer Sport xlt 2 door,
The front windshield washer pump is not coming on. The wipers work fine and the rear wiper and washer work fine. I have done some testing and this is what I have so far:
the pump is used for front and rear by running the pump in the opposit dirrection, so I know the pump is good, if I run power straight to the pump it pumps water on the windshield. when I push the multifunction switch, I get 12 volts on one of the pins that would plug into the pump, I think that somewhere there is a ground that is not being switched to run the pump in the dirrection required for the front operation. I have found some prints but the plugs and wire colors don't match what I have, so I don't know what the complete circuit looks like, or I am confused at what I am looking at. Any Ideas on what I should do next ?
thanks for any help

update to front wiper not working

After buying a manual on CD and testing several points in the wiring system, I have narrowed it down to a bad ground connection on the GEM module in the dash on the left side of the radio. I also had a bad washer relay which was located in the aux relay box located under the hood at the bottom of the battery. The front and rear washer relays are located there. When I replaced the bad relay, pushing the washer switch front or rear would send fluid to the rear window. Then I looked at the GEM module and reseated the two connectors on it and the front washer started to work, so this means that I have a bad connection on the ground wire for the wiper control. I am still trying to locate exactly where the bad connection is because the front washer works some days and other days it goes back to the rear window. When I find the exact point I will post it. It has been damn cold in Massachusetts trying to fix this.

Back