2003 sport trac neutral tow issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 sport trac neutral tow issues

Crow79

Reaction score
City, State
Simi Valley, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer sport trac
Hi,
I am having issues setting up my 2003 explorer sport trac 4x4 to flat tow behind my RV. I installed a led that hooks up to the two wires under the dash to indicate when the transfer case is in neutral. Living in Southern California I do not use the 4x4 features very much but had tested everything out about a month ago and it worked fine. Here is where it gets weird. I took it to the dealer today to have them program the neutral tow feature into the truck. It took a little while, but the tech figured out how to enable this feature. Once nuetral tow was enabled you could follow the procedure to shift the transfer case into neutral, it seemed to work correctly and the tow light indicator remained light. But now when you take it out of tow mode the transfer case acts funny. It wants to stick in 4 wheel drive, as you turn the 4x4 selector switch you can here weird banging sounds coming from the transfer case. One time I put it in 4 wheel high and the transfer case went into neutral.
We disabled the tow feature and put the truck back to factory specs. Everything seems to work correctly again. The only item that no longer works is the 4x4 low indicator light. The tech was thinking my problem could be the transfer case motor.
Any thoughts? I hate throwing money at a problem and not being sure if it will fix it.

Hi,
I am having issues setting up my 2003 explorer sport trac 4x4 to flat tow behind my RV. I installed a led that hooks up to the two wires under the dash to indicate when the transfer case is in neutral. Living in Southern California I do not use the 4x4 features very much but had tested everything out about a month ago and it worked fine. Here is where it gets weird. I took it to the dealer today to have them program the neutral tow feature into the truck. It took a little while, but the tech figured out how to enable this feature. Once nuetral tow was enabled you could follow the procedure to shift the transfer case into neutral, it seemed to work correctly and the tow light indicator remained light. But now when you take it out of tow mode the transfer case acts funny. It wants to stick in 4 wheel drive, as you turn the 4x4 selector switch you can here weird banging sounds coming from the transfer case. One time I put it in 4 wheel high and the transfer case went into neutral.
We disabled the tow feature and put the truck back to factory specs. Everything seems to work correctly again. The only item that no longer works is the 4x4 low indicator light. The tech was thinking my problem could be the transfer case motor.
Any thoughts? I hate throwing money at a problem and not being sure if it will fix it.

I came across your post while looking for other's experience with the Neutral Tow function. I have a 03 ST with the 4.0 4x4 and have been looking up info on how to diy, since Ford abandoned the ST. I recently found a local service tech who used his OBD tool to "enable' the NT on the PCM. My next step will be to go to RadioShack to get a 12v led to wire in as the Ford TSB sez. It looks like no one ever responded to your post.....did you ever resolve your system operation issues? I'm planning to finish this and flat tow my ST behind my motorhome. If I hear back from you, I'll try to provide you my lessons learned after this. Regards
gary

Maybe you are low on ATF?

Back