2003 v8 xlt transmission slips

savagespeed

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT V8
Has anyone experienced their trans jumping or
slipping changing from 1st to 2nd under hard acceleration.
The dealer is lost. I have 4x4 with high and low range switch.
They are leaning that the auto 4x4 may by trying to kick in.
Any thoughts would be great! :bounce:
V8 2003 xlt 4x4 Sport package 3:73 gears

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There was an update for the ECM on our '02. Maybe your's has the same?

I had a similiar problem with my 03. Wired a switch to the brown wire so I could see if it was the 4x4 and it eliminated it. Turning the switch off solved the problem.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107256&goto=newpost

It is kind of annoying that it does it stock though. I hope that helps. The switch won't cost you more then 10 dollars if you use a relay and it helps to diagnose it if you don't want to just leave it in 2wd but I would recommend just leaving it in 2wd saves on wear and tear on the front end. Then just flip the switch when it rains, snows, or you just want a little more traction. The brown wire is on the passenger side. There's 2 bundles of wires when you pull the (what do you call it the thing you step on when you get in the explorer) up. The smaller bundle has a solid brown wire. Splice it and wire a switch into it using a relay & switch or just a switch. Advantage of using a switch is that if you get one with a light on it, it will light up when the computer is activating the 4x4. A relay is safer and you can use smaller wires from the switch to the relay. I used a relay. However, I am thinking about wiring in straight to the switch because it would be neat to know when it's attempting to engage the 4x4.

Hope that helps, it's definately a relief to find out it is not the transmission.

kcnz said:
I had a similiar problem with my 03. Wired a switch to the brown wire so I could see if it was the 4x4 and it eliminated it. Turning the switch off solved the problem.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107256&goto=newpost

It is kind of annoying that it does it stock though. I hope that helps. The switch won't cost you more then 10 dollars if you use a relay and it helps to diagnose it if you don't want to just leave it in 2wd but I would recommend just leaving it in 2wd saves on wear and tear on the front end. Then just flip the switch when it rains, snows, or you just want a little more traction. The brown wire is on the passenger side. There's 2 bundles of wires when you pull the (what do you call it the thing you step on when you get in the explorer) up. The smaller bundle has a solid brown wire. Splice it and wire a switch into it using a relay & switch or just a switch. Advantage of using a switch is that if you get one with a light on it, it will light up when the computer is activating the 4x4. A relay is safer and you can use smaller wires from the switch to the relay. I used a relay. However, I am thinking about wiring in straight to the switch because it would be neat to know when it's attempting to engage the 4x4.

Hope that helps, it's definately a relief to find out it is not the transmission.

That will be my weekend project. I put it in 4x4 high and the problem goes away. Runs sloppy in 4x4 auto. I was wondering if you would recomend a relay and switch, if so low voltage relay and switch? I also am not real sure where the brown wire is.
My biggest concern was if I added a supercharger it would pulse the driveline even worse than it does now.
Thank you for all and any future help
Rob
stegercreek@hotmail.com

I would just do a lighted switch without the relay, the wires not that big, just make sure you run the same size wire to the switch and back as the brown wire. I think the brown wire is 20 guage wire or maybe 18. Pull the floor panel up on the passenger side. You will see 2 bundles of wires. In the smaller bundler there is one solid brown wire and only one solid brown wire. That is the wire you want. I hope that helps.

Thank you!!!!!! I will start In the morning.

Back