2002 v8 XLT transmission servo bore issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 v8 XLT transmission servo bore issue

LMHmedchem

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT v8
Hello,

I have been dealing with this for a while. The symptoms are as have been described for this problem. The truck starts normally in first gear from standing, but reves up too high when trying to get into second gear. It will rev past 3000 if you push it. If I baby it up to about 16mph, it will kick into the next gear and then drives normally until overdrive.. It will not go into overdrive on the highway. I have PCM code P0732 Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio when I read with Forscan. I have tried resetting the computer and that did not help.

Looking up my VIN, the engine is Romeo V8 4.6 SOHC EFI and the trans is 5 Speed Auto Transmission 5R55S. The truck has just over 150,000 miles on it.

I am trying to decide what to do about this. I am not sure that the truck is worth $2500-$3500 for a rebuilt transmission. I have some rust issues and a collection of other minor problems and I am trying to decide if I should put any more into this or not.

I have read about replacing the servos with a version that has O-rings to account for the wear in the servo bores, but I am not sure where to get the parts or what they cost. I don't have a lift or garage and I also have some back problems, so I don't think I could do the work myself in this case. Is this a fix that they could do at my local garage if I had the parts? Would a transmission shop do this kind of fix, again if I had the parts? If so, what would that likely cost?

If I do this repair, are there other things I should do at the same time. I assume I would change out the fluid and filter. Would I also do the solenoid?

Any suggestions or information would be appreciated. If anyone could suggest a trans shop south of Boston, MA, I would appreciate that as well.

If anyone thinks that my problem is something else, please let me know.

LMHmedchem

Back