• Register Today It's free!

2003 XLT v6 Oil Drain Plug

03Explo20

Reaction score
City, State
Jonestown, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
Noticed that my oil drain plug keeps loosening up after driving for a few hundred miles. I tighten it snug each time but it keeps coming loose.

The plug tightens fine and I’m able to remove it for oil changes but why does it keep coming loose? Could the washer be causing this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get a new plug and a new crush washer.

On my 05 the drain plug does not use a crush washer. There is a seal built onto the plug so you don't want to use a crush washer. Either way you should get a new bolt. They are 5 dollars. If you have a torque wrench find the torque setting. I believe it's about 20 ft. lbs.

It just occurred to me that if you have been using a crush washer that could be the problem. Look at a drain bolt online and you can clearly see the seal built onto the bolt. You can use it that way for many years however after a while you can get some seepage but it's so little it's not worth worrying about. It is a good idea to change them. I just changed mine last winter after 7 years that I owned this suv. A loosening oil drain bolt is a scary thought.

I know a new bolt is best, but what about using removable loctite (blue 242)?

If it fixes the problem, it works for me.

1696088510363.png

No way would I try loctite. For one you would have to make sure the threads on the oil pan and bolt are bone dry or it's worthless. You should absolutely try a new bolt and torque it to spec or maybe a few ft.lbs more.
I've been working on cars for 50 years and have never heard of anyone having a drain bolt come loose unless it wasn't torqued down properly and in which case it came all the way out and ruined their engine. Maybe you need to tighten it a bit more. The bolt should not be coming loose. Also these bolts do NOT take a washer. A washer in this situation could cause problems.
Here is a good picture of the bolt: https://www.autozone.com/external-e...parts-engine-oil-drain-plug-652856/257229_0_0

Changed the plug out today. The new one looked exactly like the photo posted from AutoZone. The old plug had a flat type white gasket. I’ve reused this plug a few times in the past without any issues.

It’s changed out now. Tanks guys for the thoughts!!!

Back