• Register Today It's free!

Oil Drain Plug

Friborage

Reaction score
City, State
Hazleton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0L
My dad has had his explorer for a long time, but this is the first time I ever did anything to it.

Im looking at the oil pan and it seems there are 2 bolts coming out of it.. (trying to change oil)... which is the drain plug? There is one on the bottom facing the ground, and there is one on the side of the pan (facing the rear of the vehicle).

Which one is going to drain the oil? I considered the possibility that there are just 2 oil drain plugs, but that seemed a little redundant to me.

I apologize if this question was already answered somewhere, but I could not find it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got the 4.0 v6, btw.

It would most likely be the lowest plug, the one on the bottom. I don't really know what the other one would be for.

I don't think your 95 should differ at all from my 97, but it's pointing to the side and hard to miss on mine. I also have the 4.0. See picture:

oilPan.jpg

Mine ('98 4.0 OHC) is also on the side, at worst I suggest starting to unscrew the one on the side, being prepared for some oil to start leaking out... if you get it out and no oil you know it is the wrong one... at the very least being on the side you know you aren't loosening the pan gasket which the one on the bottom might do depending on where it is.

That oilpan is way to clean..

Since he has a 1995, That means he has a OHV. I'm 90% sure the drain plug is vertical, and all the way in the back corner.

I only found one pic on the 'net and it was for an ebay auction of a '95 and that one is how I remember it.. But thats only one place and we all know the 'net is always correct.

This is the one I found..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-0-...rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_624wt_1165

~Mark

Back