• Register Today It's free!

Oil drain plug stripped

Kidd7

Reaction score
City, State
RTP, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 X AWD EB 5L
2000 4.0 v6 OHV 4x4 Stock: I noticed some drippings last night while doing some work on my Ex. Upon further investigation, I found the oil drain plug to be stripped and obvious evidence of dripping. It looks like this oil plug has been replaced before, I'm attaching a picture for reference.

I'm thinking I need to get a larger diameter bolt and tap that hole in the pan accordingly, any other options?

Is it worth trying a replacement drain plug from O'Reillys?

Can the pan be replaced w/o the engine pulled out?
IMG_3475.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It can be

You can also heli-coil it, drill and tap using grease coated drill and tap to catch the bits

There’s almost surely enough meat on that boss to go to the next larger size.

Since it’s aluminum I’d use WD40 as the tapping fluid.

Very nice crunchie and thanks. I've got a bunch of taps I inherited from my grandfather, I'm guessing those are all SAE. For this price it's probably worth not wasting the time digging through all those taps trying to find the correct size.

This is also me being ****, but after that kind of repair, I’d probably dump a couple quarts of cheap oil in, then drain it to get the fine scarf that may be left over before doing a final fill

My grandfather and I repaired a steel drain pan, and we greased the drill and taps. After he poured a gallon of kerosene through and let that drip out.

Granted, that 40s motor probably would have ran fine on the kerosene.

Update, threads were completely striped out and was already at 15mm. The tap threaded in there some and the bolt caught enough threads to feel tight, but visually that bore was pretty smooth. So rather than snugging up a new plug only to revisit this again I tapped new threads and picked up a 5/8" bolt. Things look pretty good.

after sitting in the driveway while working on some other stuff I had some dripping at the back of then engine. Back side of the oil pan maybe the oil pan gasket? It's kind of in the area where the tans bolts to the engine. Any thoughts or suggestions on that?

Unless it’s coming from the valve covers above, it’s probably the real main seal.

The OHV is known for valve cover leaks. The SOHC not so much.

As mentioned, likely your RMS. Unless you plan on pulling the trans for other work, it’s not worth fixing. Additives can help.

I just replaced the rear main seal on the O4 model it was a real pain in the butt took all day
bUy the ford seal With the repair sleeve and tool
If you decide to do it

I just replaced the rear main seal on the O4 model it was a real pain in the butt took all day
bUy the ford seal With the repair sleeve and tool
If you decide to do it
Donald did use the OTC 7834 tool or the replacement 7834?

The OHV is known for valve cover leaks. The SOHC not so much.

As mentioned, likely your RMS. Unless you plan on pulling the trans for other work, it’s not worth fixing. Additives can help.
That's kinda what I figured, I've been thinking about the valve cover gaskets, just not sure when I'll be able to make time.

Back