2004 Explorer Air Intake Housing needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer Air Intake Housing needed

HatchMan42

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Eddie Bauer V6 Flex
Hi to All,

My 2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer edition with the 4.0L V6 has a couple of unique part needs. Anyone that can offer advice or location to obtain the parts, I would be most appreciative and guarantee I'll dance at your wedding!

1) The air intake housing where the air filter resides has a cracked top. Nothing else wrong with it - just asethically not pleasing to the eye. Called Ford and they only sell the entire air intake assembly with sensors and all for $366.96. Well, that isn't going to happen. So I checked with the local junkyards here in Dallas, and no air intake housings to be found for an Explorer. Is it possible to obtain just the housing without all the sensors, and outlet duct, etc.? If so where?

2) I changed the coolant temperature sensor which is held in check by a little clip. I'll be damned if I didn't lose the clip during removal and for the life of me I can not find the blasted thing. :mad:
Same question as above, anybody know where this can be obtained without having to purchase the sensor?

3) Finally the radiator has an overflow tube attached at the upper passenger side edge which drains into the plastic reservoir container. The hose is connected to a approx. 2" plastic "nipple" and secured with a quick-connect clamp. I have broken that nipple and Ford parts tells me that I must replace the entire radiator for $234.75. Again that isn't happening! Would it harm the system if I epoxied the nipple back to the radiator and then re-attach the hose? If that is possible, what glue or adhesive would be your recommendation for this plastic to plastic bond point?

Thanks I appreciate any direction and input you all can provide!

HatchMan42

Is air able to get through the crack? If so, that means unfiltered air is getting into your engine. In the next month or so I plan on getting a K&N kit, so I won't really have a need for my stock setup. I have a V8, but if I'm not mistaken the airbox setup is the same. If that's the case, I'm sure we can arrange something.

In reply to the air box housing you need, anything from a 02-05 will fit. A quick search on eBay yielded a few results, starting around the $20 range and up. The only sensor unit should be your mass airflow sender and housing, which can be removed from your old one.

I just swapped my stock complete intake system for an aftermarket one in my 03 with the 4.0L I would be willing to make you a deal on it, there is no MAF sensor as I had to use it in the new one....just the top/bottom cover with the little clips on the side.

Here's a top cover for example off an 02 4.0L....I believe you are saying you just need the top? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-F...id=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65:12|39:1|72:1171

Back