• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer Alarm

Crt86

Reaction score
City, State
North Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
I have a 2004 Ford Explorer, so far it's been a great vehicle. It's had a few quirks that it decides to get over just before we take action, except one. The alarm.

The alarm is the most sensitive alarm I've ever seen. Slight bumps and cars passing by with loud exhaust will almost always receive a chirp from the horn, if not full on panic mode.

2 days ago, the alarm decided it would chirp once driving down the road, and then 10 seconds later panic mode. Hitting the unlock button on the key fob seems to stop it, until the next time i start it up and hit the road. I've tried to do some research to figure out how/why, but am coming up empty handed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I tried to find a way disarm mine too, impossible. The way the alarm is instigated with the ecu and security module cant be done, the only way I found is to find the wire that triggers the horns, disconnect at the security module and run a separate wire from the horn button. Might keep the horn from going off but might affect something else. There really should be some how to disable an alarm if the consumer does not want one.

Vehicle Security Module on the wall beside the third row passenger seat. Pin 6 Yellow/Light Blu

Will this disable it?
Not really concerned with the security aspect, would still like to be able to use the keyless entry for convenience.

The security system.
Vehicle theft isn't really an issue in my general area (I'm sure it happens, but not few and far between) That being said I still lock my doors, helps to keep folks honest.

Or is there a way to disable the horn from only the security system?

That's fine, if it will stop the horn thats good enough for me.
What do I need to do to thathe module?

Disconnect the wire I named.
You can cut it or you can go all fancy by removing the retainer from the plug, backing the wire out, and putting some shrink tubing on it so it can't short to anything. Your choice.

Unless I'm not looking in the right spot. (3rd.row panel passenger side) I didn't see it. All I saw was the tire monitoring module.

20170218_190943_edit_1487467474568_zpsbvtxcdtz.jpg
']
20170218_190943_edit_1487467474568_zpsbvtxcdtz.jpg
[/URL]

I did fond this under the steering wheel. Is this what I need?

Also I couldn't find a hood switch....

I never was any good at scavenger hunts...

Do without a horn, disconnect them, and be done with it. My 2004 appears to not even have such an alarm, at least, the only way to make the horns sound is to push the orange button on the fob. Was there an optionally-available alarm system from Ford, mine being not so equipped? imp

hood switch is near your coolant reservoir attached to the passenger fender, you can just disconnect it. It looks like the image below;

images

this is how it looked on my Continental disconnected;

10394651_746063212133141_9055997015160443100_n.jpg

I don't see anything that resembles that. I've looked on both sides.

I've double checked and I'm still not seeing it....

20170222_222822_zpszrhrtowc.jpg
']
20170222_222822_zpszrhrtowc.jpg
[/URL]

20170222_222837_zps59tqkizc.jpg
']
20170222_222837_zps59tqkizc.jpg
[/URL]

Back