2004 Explorer rear diff. swap with 2006 or newer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer rear diff. swap with 2006 or newer

Knight Rider

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
I have a 2004 Ford Explorer 4.6L 4x4 with the towing package and like other members I have a high pitch whine coming from the rear differential. That said, I purchased my Explorer brand new from the dealer and it now has 154,700 miles on it. Fortunately, I’m pretty mechanically inclined (retired USMC aviation mechanic) and have performed most of the regular routine maintenance on my Explorer myself.
About six months ago I was away on a job assignment and my wife took the Explorer into the dealer to have the whine checked out (that was approx. 15,000 miles ago) and they performed TSB 05-23-3 and unfortunately the whine is still there. The dealer was willing to fix the rear end whine for approx. $1,700…..no thanks!
What I’m wondering (since it seems like there’s lots of “issues” with the 2002 – 2005 Explorer rear differentials) is if it’s possible to replace the “entire” rear drive assembly with a 2006 or newer Explorer rear drive assembly from a salvage yard?

Probably won't work, because in my 2004 the ABS tone ring was inside the diff, with the sensor and harness mounted to the top of it. I believe sometime in late 2004 or early 2005 they started putting the rear abs sensors at the hubs, so there was no tone ring in the diff and no sensor/harness on it. In other words, a later diff probably won't work in an earlier truck, at least not the ABS.

It's worth checking under your truck to see if you have the hub ABS sensors or the one that goes to the diff, just to see what your options are.

I have done an 08 rear in an 03, and posted info somewhere here.

Back