• Register Today It's free!

rear diff swap with 4x4?

mikeresin

Reaction score
City, State
san rafael, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 sport, 90gt
ok guys i have another question. my '95 sport is a 4x4.
i want to put some better gears on the rear end so i have better off the line. i was thinking 373's
anyway i was talking to a freind of mine and he said becuase i have 4x4 that i might also need to change the transmission gears and the front differential. (keep in mind i know nothing of drivetrains and am not sure if there even is a front diff.)
anyway what do u guys think? should i even bother with it? like 9 bolt posi would be nice but i just dont know if i should.
any advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Front and back gears need to match. No need to mess with your tranny.

well do u think it would be worth the money? how much money would it cost me anyway and how long of an install would it take me.

what gear ratio do u have now and btw it's 9 inch rear axle and it wouldn't be worth swapping in the 8.8 is strong enough

actualy i found out last night i have 3:08 gear ratio in the back. and i also found out it would only cost me about 700 dollars. but ive decided not too seeing as how ill loose alot of highway speed. ima leave the rear end and look around for a torque conversion kit.

the other mods i plan on doing... custom cold air induction, mass air sensor, throttle body, 9mm wire, superchip(and go get it custom tuned), pulleys, 6 pound vortec, performance fuel injection, cobra R wheels, lowering kit, edlebrock shocks, sway bars, headers, and i have decided what else. my goal is to get my X to run 14's and 13's. if i ran 13's in my car in the 1/4 i would crap my pants with happieness. =X well maybe not but still

Back