2004 Ford Explorer wont go into Drive or Reverse but will drive in 1st and 2nd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Ford Explorer wont go into Drive or Reverse but will drive in 1st and 2nd

nhr9320

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
I have a 2004 Ford Explorer and the overdrive light is flashing and it wont go into drive or reverse. Gentleman, be gentle. I am a female who knows nothing about cars but I love my truck and I just paid it off.

On Friday night when I tried to drive it, it would sputter and jerk horribly in drive and now it will only drive in 1 and 2.

Now when you put it in reverse or drive it seems like it is not fully engaged. It will rev and move very slowly. This happens whether overdrive is on or off. It drives perfectly when put in 1st or 2nd. You can also drive the truck in 2nd til up to speed, pop it into drive with the overdrive OFF and it will drive just fine until you slow down to first gear again, at that point you have to start over. When switched into drive with overdrive on, it will just rev out.

Has anyone faced this problem before? My boyfriend has changed the transmission filter and transmission fluid. I see that the Valve body gaskets could be a problem as well as the OD Spag? I am afraid to take it to the Transmission people at Ford or Aamco for fear of getting ripped off. HELP

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First thing is get the transmission trouble codes read. The codes although cryptic, generally point to common failure areas, such as servo bores, broken servo, broken band, circuit faults, etc.

Please how did you solve this problem I am facing the same.
After changing tranny fluid this problem came.

Please how did you solve this problem I am facing the same.
After changing tranny fluid this problem came.

Can you walk me through what you did to change the fluid, as well as what fluid you used?

Oh boy, can someone help me please, I'm in my 60's & can't get rip off anymore, I have the same experience with my 2005 Sport trac, just 1 & 2nd gear works.
Is this something I can fix easy or is it really the job for the big boys?

Back