2004 heater control problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 heater control problem

dl011

Reaction score
City, State
nottingham, pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
i am having a heater / air condition problem. when i turn the heater on it works but i can not change the heat "intensity" (how hot the air coming out of the vents is). when i turn the knob the heat setting stays the same. when i put it on a/c it stays the same. just heat all the time. i can change what vents the heat comes out of and how fast it comes out but not the heat "intensity". i checked fuses in the engine bay and all were good. i got another heater control panel from a different explorer at a salvage yard and it did the same (dont know that it was good, but all other controls worked). could this be a bad or stuck relay somewhere? if so where can i find it? could it be a vaacum hose off somewhere. if so where is it? any help would be appreciated :)

thanks dan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like a blend door issue, do you have dual controls? ETAC?

Same problem as Dan

My 2004 started the same thing today. Nothing but heat all the time. Mine has a front and rear heater control. Only one for the front of the compartment. If it is the blend door, how much work is involved?

Gary

search "blend door actuator"

BUT, when you turn your heat to cold can you hear a clicking? or thumping? behind the radio?

Heater problem

BUT, when you turn your heat to cold can you hear a clicking? or thumping? behind the radio?

Jake,

I hear no sounds at all! I turned the knob slowely, but still no sound. I wounder if it could just be the knob contol (rheostat) is bad. After reading so many similar problems, I just assumed it may be the actuator.

Thanks for replying. I am really dissapointed in this SUV. Still waiting any day now for the tranny to finally quit. It is doing the slip and catch thing, but it won't be long.

Gary

mine makes a lot of clicking until it finishes cutting over

I hear no noise, but it could be the most of the teeth are gone and it is stuck in the hot position.

Thanks

i had the same thing happen to me in my 04 it was the blend i had only ac no heat but in y rear control everything worked fine so after taking apart the center console to get to the blend door i removed it and used a screwdriver to test the blend door manually to rule out anything else it is a 70 dollar part buy direct from ford and is well worth the 1100 dollar savings for doing it your self all you need is a Phillips a flat head and a rachet and sockets and of course patients and maybe a second set of hands.

$1,100 dollars buys me a lot of patience. Can't be much harder than changing the $48.00 water pump on my pontiac grand am. Dealer wanted $800.00. After realizing that you have to take off most of the front of the engine, I understand the high cost. Took me a bit of time, but got to put a new timing chain and gears while I had it apart.

Thanks for the reply. Tranny is getting worse everyday. Starting now to surge between gears. Gotta love the "quality" they put into these Exploders. Still, I like the darn thing when it works. First 4 X 4 I have owned. Really good to have this year in our Wisconsin winter.

Just got the actuator out of mine. I think the hardest part will be putting the new one back in. It was fingertips for the back screw on the beast. The part is $40 here at oreilly though.

sounds like blend door top pivot brakage. I had the same problem. fix is a blend door kit. 2 i know of site called heater treater.com----$120.00 or NAPA $13.50. I got the one from NAPA, but i installed the door from the bottom check that website above. not to hard of a job. good luck.

heh, forgot to update and say that i got it.
It was the actuator. And because i didn't take apart the whole dash to get to it, it took me almost 2 hours to finish. Had to use fingertips with tape, sticky-side out, so that the socket wouldn't slip.

Back