dmagerl

Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
I seek the help of the experts.

2004 Explorer V6, 62000 miles

This problem started suddenly. I came to a railraod crossing with a train lumbering by so I shut the engine off. Not 2 seconds later the caboose came around the bend so I immediately started the engine back up. Ever since, the idle has been horribly rough. Tachometer says 600 to 650 rpm but its just shaking all over.

I've searched the archives here for "rough idle" and they all seem to point to the IAC being the problem but this car has the "throttle by wire" throttlebody and I cant find the IAC. But wouldnt a dirty IAC show a gradual increase in idle ruffness vs an abrupt change like I had?

So what else causes rough idle? I've noticed some significant engine pinging when the engine is cold but I dont know if its related to the idle, just that I've never noticed it before. It goes away when warmed up.

About a month ago I had oil, transmission fluid, air filter changed but everything's been fine up until now.

Any hints? or is it time to take it to the dealer?

dickm

BTW, there are no codes or check engine light lit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What type of fuel are you using?

Hi there... With a previous EX I had that same experience but only if I used cheap gas. I don't know if this helps but, Chevron and Texaco (Chevron only now) works best for me.

Good to know

Thank you for that info... I hope that can help the poster. Cold mornings, my 94 would shake and rumble and sputter down the drive way, but only when I used an off name brand of gas. The 96 never had that bad a problem, but did have troubles with poor quality fuels.

The 03 has not used x brand gas, I've learned to avoid it. But my gas gauge would malfunction regularly, but it was said that Chevron will alleviate that problem - and it did. Techron is what they say helps...

I dont think its bad gas unless the fuel filter got all clogged. Its now been over a week and i've put 2 tanks of gas in it, one of them being E85 with its 125 octane rating. The E85 did smooth it out some but it's still annoying.

It goes to the dealer on Tuesday so I'll report back what they found.

-dickm

I through in seafoam to help with the shakes when it happened to me. It helped a bit but it didn't go away. I drove like that for 3 weeks before I had time to change the filter. Boy was it dirty.

Sounds good... But if the E85 helped, why not go with a lower octane, start with say 87? Sounds like you might already have though... I'll be waiting to hear how this turns out...

Seafoam?

I through in seafoam to help with the shakes when it happened to me. It helped a bit but it didn't go away. I drove like that for 3 weeks before I had time to change the filter. Boy was it dirty.

What's seafoam?

You know what got me was the difference in price for a dealer fuel filter and one from (a big name) oil/fluids shop; and the time it takes: 20 minutes for big name vs 2 hours for dealer (not all dealers). And the big name places always hand you a bottle of something to help keep things clean inside... so I keep going back. They keep things running smoothly! (kinda disabled, can't do some of these things myself, but it would be nice)

Got it... thanks!

The dealer reports that the harmonic balancer has disintegrated and that my wallet will be $545 lighter than at the beginning of the day.

He also says I need new ball joints, $727, and I have a front pinion seal leak, $219.

Only the balancer is gettig fixed today....

-dickm

Back