2004 Limited: Question about top mounting studs/nuts for rear struts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Limited: Question about top mounting studs/nuts for rear struts

pet575

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Limited
Went to change my rear struts yesterday on my 2004 Limited. Found that there are three studs/nuts that mount the top of the strut into place. Two are exposed and easy to access and loosen. The third appears to be encased in a rubber stopper and I have not yet figured out in the limited time I had how to get a wrench or socket into the rubber stopper.

The rubber stopper is too tall around the stud/nut to use an open end wrench. The metal parts above the strut mount appear to limit the ability to get a ratchet/socket into the area (at least I couldn't do it with a standard depth socket). It appears that the stud is too long to use a shallow socket. One thing I did not try due to my time constraints was a universal socket.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to deal with this rubber stopper? Can I pry it off from the bottom or will that ruin it to where I can't get it back into place? What the heck is that stopper in there for anyway? PLEASE help! Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Went to change my rear struts yesterday on my 2004 Limited. Found that there are three studs/nuts that mount the top of the strut into place. Two are exposed and easy to access and loosen. The third appears to be encased in a rubber stopper and I have not yet figured out in the limited time I had how to get a wrench or socket into the rubber stopper.

The rubber stopper is too tall around the stud/nut to use an open end wrench. The metal parts above the strut mount appear to limit the ability to get a ratchet/socket into the area (at least I couldn't do it with a standard depth socket). It appears that the stud is too long to use a shallow socket. One thing I did not try due to my time constraints was a universal socket.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to deal with this rubber stopper? Can I pry it off from the bottom or will that ruin it to where I can't get it back into place? What the heck is that stopper in there for anyway? PLEASE help! Thanks!

It has a slot in it that lets it slide off the stud when the nut is loosened. You can cut away enough of it with a razor blade to get to the nut inside. I have no idea what its function is, I threw it away after removing it.

Thanks. I have no idea what it is for, either. There is no way it can come into contact with the metal above it.

It is coming off permanently!

Made a run at this over the weekend. Spent TOO long trying to cut through that rubber to get too the nut in there. Finally ended up just prying the damned thing until it bent out of the way and then I was able to cut a lot more easily. Thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately, it took so much time to do that I ran out of time to actually work on getting the old strut out.

One more question:
Surprisingly, I was able to loosen and remove the lower nut/bolt completely but the strut did not move a bit. Is there a bushing of some type in the lower mount that needs to be removed and replaced? I have to confess I haven't looked that closely at the replacement StrutTeks I bought to make sure they look the same. I didn't want to do move that lower mount at all until I was sure.

Thanks!

Could just be stuck in there with friction/rust/crud.

You can push down on the LCA with your foot and tilt the strut assembly back and forth in the mount....alternatively you could hit the bottom part of it upward with a hammer to see if that shocks it loose.

Guys I didn't even get far enough to push down on it because I was afraid there was a bushing in the lower part that I didn't have to where I was going to be stuck in disassembly mode with no transportation. The pics on FB answered every question I had and then some.

THANK YOU!!!!!!

I'm going to post up some pics of this complete job similar to those FB photos. Hopefully it can be made into a sticky for this particular project.

Back