2004 Mountaineer O/D light flashing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Mountaineer O/D light flashing

Extremerc12

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Base
Hello all,

Have a 04 Mountaineer (4.6L) that is suffering from the infamous O/D flashing and service transmission. The light kicks on over 50 mph and doesn't seem to occur when going up hill over 50 mph. I still need to get a good confirmation on that, but so far that seems true. The truck has about 187,000 miles on it with a rebuilt trans (maybe about 30k ago, but I will need to look exactly and see). With that said, what could the issue be? The computer while throwing the flashing lights and such, is not putting a code in memory as far as I can tell. My scanner (probably not sophisticated enough does not read one, but I can hit the reset and turn everything out). Since I am not sure of the fluid level and/or fluid condition due to Ford asinine design, I am not sure if the viscosity is broken down too much (i.e. burnt) or if the transmission just doesn't have enough fluid to operate correctly pressure wise. Another thing to mention is that the transmission seems to shift fine without issue.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Hello all,

Another thing to mention is that the transmission seems to shift fine without issue.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

If the O/D light doesn't show up all the time or clears out then you don't have any problem, if it does then you have a problem that needs immediate attention (low fluid, band adjustment, etc). If you have it checked early it might spare you from another rebuilt.

So flashing light but absolutely no change in performance? Are you sure that the Tourque Converter is locking?

Hello all,

Couple of things:

[MENTION=2441]Lincoln[/MENTION]

When the car is shut down and restarted, the flashing O/D light and service trans is cleared.

[MENTION=84796]pet575[/MENTION]

Absolutely no change in performance. This motor runs very strong and she takes off like a bat out of hell if you will.

Now, in talking with my father, since this is his vehicle, when he purchased this truck, the transmission shop who installed the transmission indicated to the previous owner, that the neutral safety switch was out of adjustment. Would a neutral safety switch that is out of sorts cause this type of issue? We never noticed the issue before largely due to the fact that we had the mountaineer parked for a couple of months after it was purchased and wasn't immediately driven. Now we have it registered and insured and are ready to put it on the road as an everyday driver.

Thanks for the help thus far.

Chris

Back