Reaction score
City, State
Centennial, Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 explorer XLT
Hey guys,

I am new here, i just got my first explorer yesterday :D
It’s a 2005 XLT (came from a passat...)
Anyway, when i drove it off the lot, the tire low pressure light was on. The garage told me to drive at for a while at low speeds (sounds like the manual says the same thing) but the light did not go off.
i have been doing some reading on the forum, and did learn about the transmitters in the tires. according to the garage the tires where all at about 40psi, but i can tell you right now that they did not check the spare, is there a pressure sensor in the spare? (Seems that there were some conflicting answers on that one in the forum)

Also, how important are those metal caps? The dealership put in nitrogen and then put on those green caps so that i would not forget. Could that be a reason for the warning? i do not think so because it seems that its getting a low reading, not a faulty sensor reading (in only mentioned it because i want to paint the whole picture for you guys so i can find the help i need.

Thanks for any help guys, just want to know what is going on before i go back to the garage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

for more information, search on 'TPMS'. I thought in '05 they change from a stem mount to a strap mount which might change things a little. It might help to find out which one it has.

Hopefully it might be simple, as there is a procedure to retrain the system which might be all it needs. More than likely it could be the battery is low or one of the sensors is defective. Hard to tell which one without test equipment. Dealer should be able to tell which one but they are going to charge you $$$.

Green Caps should be OK, in fact the metal's will 'glue' themselves on, to the point where you break the stem getting it off.

With my '04 it only monitors 4 tires. I do a 5 tire rotation and have to retrain it every time i rotate as it doesn't pick up the sensor when mounted as spare.

Hopefully this helps. . .

OK, i am pretty positive from looking at pictures that it the stem mounted ones. i am going back to the garage this weekend and will see about taking the tires (at least 1) off and checking for sure. then i might try the re-train procedures to see if i have a broken one. would it say tire pressure low or tire pressure fault in the message screen if one was broken?

If your tire stems are metal vice rubber, and they have collar nuts holding them in, then you have the ones that are integral to the stems.

OK, i am pretty positive from looking at pictures that it the stem mounted ones. i am going back to the garage this weekend and will see about taking the tires (at least 1) off and checking for sure. then i might try the re-train procedures to see if i have a broken one. would it say tire pressure low or tire pressure fault in the message screen if one was broken?

i wouldn't break a bead on the rim as it does sound like you do have the stem ones. I just shoot for the re-train, it beeps when the tire was successful. I'd guess no horn beep if one was bad and you might id which one. by the way are you using 36lbs? it seems to trigger below 30psi.
Only other thing i found when i added the 5th rim, the tire store mounted thier TPMS sensor, which didn't retrain. I took it back and had them swap in a used OEM which did work.

Back