2005 Ford Explorer 4.6L starter removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Ford Explorer 4.6L starter removal

martin_95037

Reaction score
City, State
Morgan Hill, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer EB 4.6 V8
my starter is bad. The gear won’t engage unless I sit it with a hammer. Got the car to the shop. I have the two 13 MM bolts to bed that you can see. Any idea on how to remove the 3rd one? I can see it with a mirror, I got a socket on it but am having difficulty getting the extension and ratchet on. Any help would be appreciated.

26F24ED8-D5E0-48EC-BB0E-B1CCB038973B.jpeg

my starter is bad. The gear won’t engage unless I sit it with a hammer. Got the car to the shop. I have the two 13 MM bolts to bed that you can see. Any idea on how to remove the 3rd one? I can see it with a mirror, I got a socket on it but am having difficulty getting the extension and ratchet on. Any help would be appreciated.

View attachment 341720

Sorry I can't talk knowledgeably about the OHC V-8 but recall the difficulty I encountered with Fox Mustang 5.0 HOs. I used a 3/8" socket with a universal joint attached and several long extensions threaded through and around engine mount, with ratchet wrench turnable in front of the mount. Maybe such a scheme would work for you.

Back