2021 PIU ECOBOOST, FIRST IMPRESSIONS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2021 PIU ECOBOOST, FIRST IMPRESSIONS

VCFP153

Reaction score
City, State
Ormond Beach FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 PIU
After driving my 2017 PIU for almost 3 years, I ended up trading it in on a 2021. Wasn't really planning to to get rid of the 2017 for probably another year, and I probably would have done so, had a very particular 2021 not turned up suddenly. Those of you who've read my stuff in the Gen V section have probably seen pics of my very innocent-looking Kodiak Brown 2017 with Interior Upgrade Package and some other goodies. If I was going to replace it, it would be with something similar, in other words, another dark color, Admin interior, no spotlights etc. I have a habit of perusing ebay and autotrader for interesting vehicles (much to my wallet's chagrin), and last month I came across a 2021 specimen that not only had the admin interior and was dark-colored, but was even Ecoboost-powered and even had alloys. It was at a certain North Georgia dealership whose name rhymes with wacky bones. Well, after he saw that unit, this fool and his money were (not surprisingly) soon parted. Certainly wasn't cheap, but the dealer in question did give me a very generous trade allowance for my 2017 (considerably more than anyone else had offered), so here we are. Just passed 1,000 miles (500 of which was getting it home from the dealer).

So, what do I think? This first part is probably subjective, but the 2021 looks much bigger than the 2017, despite being only 0.5" longer. Must just be the shape. Same with the wheels. They're only a tad bigger 255/60 vs 245/55, but they look like tractor wheels by comparison. The second thing I noticed (also probably subjective) is that the seating position seems much higher, more like a pickup truck. Maybe that's because the dash is flatter, so you see more of the windshield. In any case, the elbow-on-the-window-sill business that was not comfortable on the 2017 (the sill was too far and too high) is a little better on the 2021 (still too far, but not too high).

The front seats look and feel the same (might even BE the same), while the back seat now has headrests and is 35/30/35 rather than 60/40. The steering wheel gained 4 auxiliary switches but lost volume controls. The instrument cluster looks more upscale with a "3-d" digital display with more display options (like what music is playing, auxiliary switch positions etc). SYNC functionality seems unchanged, however there is no more CD player. Reverse sensing system no longer includes camera image being displayed in the rearview mirror. That's now a separate option, as is the much-lauded on-demand rearview camera viewing. My unit has neither of those options. Also gone is the large, two-color task light. Instead, the regular reading lights replaced the white part of that light, while separate red task lights are where there would normally be a sunglass holder. Those red lights are VERY weak and only shine at one of the console cupholders, but not much else. So, not an improvement there. Another non-improvement is the tailgate operation. Whereas before the release button was right behind the handle, now the release is to the right of the license plate, so opening the tailgate is now a two-handed operation (or two-stepped with one hand). Either way, less convenient. Of course, now there is a trailer hitch receiver back there, but no towing package is offered.

So, how does it drive? It's quick, very quick, and very deceivingly so. Acceleration feels almost instantaneous, especially at higher speeds. It's very easy to get into a lot of trouble with this one. Probably due to better aerodynamics, triple digits feel and sound no different than, say, 75, and it takes only a light tap on the gas to get into those triple digits. I find myself crosschecking the speedo a lot more than I did on the 2017. Handling is a lot more neutral and more responsive, but the ride is noticeably rougher than on the 2017. With this one you feel every single bump. The brakes are more effective, but also touchier. The ones on the 2017 were easier to modulate, maybe that will improve with wear, we'll see. The engine is very quiet. There is some turbo whistle, but it seems to disappear into the engine's soft hum. The 10spd feels a lot smoother than the old 6spd, but unlike the 10spd on my F150, there is no drive mode selection. I feel like that might have been helpful, but alas...

So far, I haven't noticed any production defects, but then again, it's only been 1,000 miles.

That's about it, feel free to ask any questions. Also, if anyone wants to buy my 2017, the dealership in question just put it up for sale. They're asking a bit much, I think, but if there is a 2017 out there that IS worth that kind of money, mine is it.

ATLphoto.jpg

Beach1.jpg

Home1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have paddle shifters? does the admin interior have the round know or the column mount? yours have the armored doors? what do you think now that you've had the car for a bit

For anyone in the business that wants to drive the new PIU or the new F150 Responder Pursuit here is the Registration for the US Ride and Drive

Do you have paddle shifters? does the admin interior have the round know or the column mount? yours have the armored doors? what do you think now that you've had the car for a bit
No paddles or armored doors, shifter is on the column. Just over 4,200 miles now, truck's been great. Around 3,300 miles the brakes started pulsating. Turns out all four rotors had to be re-machined. Smooth as butter now.

Love that engine, truly gives the truck excellent dynamics. I don't miss BLIS (the only thing my 2017 had that this one doesn't).

No paddles or armored doors, shifter is on the column. Just over 4,200 miles now, truck's been great. Around 3,300 miles the brakes started pulsating. Turns out all four rotors had to be re-machined. Smooth as butter now.

Love that engine, truly gives the truck excellent dynamics. I don't miss BLIS (the only thing my 2017 had that this one doesn't).
so admin interior is just carpet, or do you have different console, or do you have the regular dash without the flat mounting surface?, does it feel faster than a ST because its lighter?

so admin interior is just carpet, or do you have different console, or do you have the regular dash without the flat mounting surface?, does it feel faster than a ST because its lighter?

Probably easier to just show you the interior pics. As for your other question, I haven't driven an ST, so I can't comment on that.

20210810_091028.jpg

20210810_091029.jpg

20210810_091030.jpg

thanks, very cool, I figure the PIU is faster than the ST as it has no 3rd row seat weight to haul around, is there a button to deactivate the AEB collision avoidance for pursuits?

thanks, very cool, I figure the PIU is faster than the ST as it has no 3rd row seat weight to haul around, is there a button to deactivate the AEB collision avoidance for pursuits?
I don't believe it has AEB at all. Nor does it have start-stop.

Back