2005 Stock head Unit in a 2002 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Stock head Unit in a 2002

HitmanX800

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Eddie
The CD Player on my Stock headunit finally kicked the bucket, Im looking to get an 04-05 head unit so i can have the MP3 capability and use an IPOD adapter with the AUX in. i know the unit will physically fit. if i just get a harness that fits the radio and then a harness for my connectors will everything work right? i have the Audiophile Audio System with Sub and Steering Wheel Controls.

I'm looking at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...207069021&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
I

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'd get an aftermarket one... i got a $70 jvc one from best buy and it looks and sounds way better than stock.

Mr wiggles were you able to keep the steering wheel controls? Anybody know how you can?

STU

well if i replace it i want to get a double din one, but thats gonna cost upwards of 300$, so for now i'll take the 50$ replacement, plus i'm already winning the auction on ebay. so does anyone know if this will work? Where can i get the harness for the new radio?

I have an 06 on on my 02, had to buy the reverse harness for the HU and a harness for the truck, ended up not using the one for the truck, as I installed an amp, but that's what you'd do. Get one each and solder them together then plug and play, can't really say on the steering wheel controls my truck doesn't have them.

as jad2411 said you have to get both sides to spice them. . .my bet is you have Black connectors on the radio, they are different from the Gray's. . .word of caution on the fleabay buy, if the radio is not put in ship mode and the ship bracket added you will receive it broken. With out those two things if the radio is turned upside down there is a good chance for the trays to fall off and jam on first use. Easiest thing is you can split the radio/cd and send it in for repair, $80 when i did it. Or find a radio with the black plugs and add an aftermarket adapter for the MP3 (if you don't have the rear DVD then those pins should be 'open' unused), PIE makes one i think that plugs in between the harness and radio. just a thought?

Hitman, I placed the same radio into my 98 Explorer. It was from a 2005 Lincoln. I got the reverse harnesses on Ebay and wired it up with diagrams found here on EF. I do not have the steering wheel controls but I see no reason why they wouldn't work since you have the factory wiring already in place. The radio works great, looks great and I also added the XM direct for my boys "O and A" on satellite. Go for it, it's a great buy. I have two of these radio's and neither came in the parked position others mentioned. I believe only the earlier year series require the parking and the brace inside before shipping so you're be safe.

mic98xlt, Thanks thats great to hear, does yours play MP3s? the auction didnt state it did but i'm assume they are all the same.

6 cd's are enough for me, so I never tried any recorded mp3's. I been told it will play them. I see the auction is over, was it yeah or neah for you?

HU:
DSCF0373.jpg

Amp:
DSCF0372.jpg

Sub:
DSCF1909.jpg

Back